Question PC detects tv, but tv says "no signal" until I restart the tv at least once

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goreking

Honorable
Nov 14, 2014
I have a strange issue.
When I start my tv while my pc is on, it sometimes will not show anything even though the pc detects it.
Restarting the tv however will usually solve it immediately, but its annoying.

Anyone know the reason to why this happen?
All latest drivers/updates are installed both on the pc and tv.
It goes from the graphics cards hdmi port straight into the hdmi on the tv.

I have a gtx1080 and a 42" LG 4k hdr tv (not a never model)

Found a few threads online with similar problems, but most lacked a solution and they weren't exactly the same as my tv gets a signal after restarting it.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I had a similar issue with a TV that would do this ONLY with the PC. I would have to disconnect the cable from the TV side, remove the connection from the menu, then hook back up and relearn. Never was able to solve it. It didn't do so with PlayStation/Xbox/Cable Box, only various PC hooked to it. It was a smart TV, so not really sure what or if that played any part in it.

Goreking

Honorable
Nov 14, 2014
I had a similar issue with a TV that would do this ONLY with the PC. I would have to disconnect the cable from the TV side, remove the connection from the menu, then hook back up and relearn. Never was able to solve it. It didn't do so with PlayStation/Xbox/Cable Box, only various PC hooked to it. It was a smart TV, so not really sure what or if that played any part in it.
Sorry for reviving this thread (some things came up and I completely forgot about making this thread).

Yes its the exact same for me (except I just turn it on/off until it works), everything else works 100% of the time, its only with my PC it does this, and yes its a smart TV.

Goreking

Honorable
Nov 14, 2014
Does it make a difference if the TV is always turned on first - before the PC?

Ensure that the existing HDMI cable is fully and firmly plugged in on both ends.

Try another known working HDMI cable.
Sorry for reviving this thread (some things came up and I completely forgot about making this thread).

No it doesnt make a difference.

Yes I have tried other HDMI cables with the same results

Ralston18

Titan
Do other TVs or monitors work?

Try another known working TV or monitor on your computer.

Try the problem TV on another known working computer.

Determine if the problem follows the TV or stays with your computer.

My thought is a loose connection of some sort in the TV.

Once warmed up (start/restart) and after some expansion the connection is tighter and then things work.

Status
Not open for further replies.