Question PC did not boot with old MB, fans do not not even run with new motherboard

Jesper_3

Honorable
Aug 19, 2016
I will try to explain this on the hand of some earlier reddit threads I wrote on this.

Part 1:

A couple of weeks ago my PC just randomly shut down at times and the fans started spinning really fast. This went over in a couple of days and I went on with business. A couple of days ago it started again and this time it did not went away. I took a look in my PC and saw an incredible layer of dust on my CPU fan (i6500). I removed this and when I installed the fan again it did not even boot. I removed one stick of RAM and booted again. This time it did boot up and when I tried to boot it up WITH that RAM, it did not boot up. So I thought I had identified the problem. But when I tried it again without the stick it did not work. Also without both RAM sticks it did not boot up. I also tried connecting my HDMI to my motherboard instead of my GPU: no result. So I suspect this is a CPU and/or MB issue.

After this, I cleaned my PC, reapplied thermal paste, tried another PSU, but nothing works. All connectors seem clean and well connected. Both my fans do turn and I also tried it without RAM, with 1 RAM stick, 2 sticks, reversed, etc. Also checked it with my HDMI in my MB instead of my GPU. Still: no signal. I even replaced the CMOS battery.

After this I bought a new motherboard as I thought that would be the issue. I put it in and connected the 24 cable from the PSU to the MB. I connected the CPU fan to the MB and put in 1 RAM stick. I pressed the power button and everything worked fine, but still no boot. I saw that I did not connect the 8-pin CPU cable from the PSU. When I connected that and turned it on. The chassis fan and LED are on for a fraction of second but turn off, the CPU fan a little bit longer and I hear a click noise from the PSU. I tried it again without the CPU 8-cable and the fans would run normally. Sometimes the same behaviour does happen without the 8-cable. I also tried my older PSU, same problem. I have no idea what is going on and how to solve it. It seemed to get worse since I got a new MB. I even tried it on my old MB and while it does not boot there, the fans do keep running. Is my new MB DOA or is it some protection kicking in?

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how I can solve it?

Jesper_3

Honorable
Aug 19, 2016
CPU: Intel i6500
GPU: GTX 1060
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro (Old) and ASRock H310CM (New)
RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3
PSU: Seasonic 500W S12III (New), the old one I do have to check when home. Note: both PSUs give the same results. Also tried different power outlets.

Jesper_3

Honorable
Aug 19, 2016
the new mobo is not compatible with i5 6500. on 100 or 200 series support 6th gen
on the old mobo, test without the gpu and use igpu?
test the gpu on another working pc?
A that is really stupid from me, then I will test with a new, compatible MB. On the old MB I already tested with the HDMI straight into the MB, same result. So I already ruled out the GPU, right?