PC Didn't power up after lighting strike

Spiderkeys

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2015
I had a big scare, my homebuilt GIGABYTE MW21-SE0 (U3E1) with Intel Xeon E3 1220 Skylake CPU, has a power outrage during a lighting strike. My Computer is connected to a surge protector also, but little did that seem to help.

After the outrage I just turned the PC off from the PSU and waited till the storm passed, then when to turn on and boot up, but silence, nothing, only the power button lights up, no fans are spinning but the MB is on when connected to a electrical outlet.

First suspect was the PSU, so out of frustation, the easiest thing to do was test the test it with a known working once, I took my PC apart, and disconnected the 24pin and CPU pins and tested it with a known working one, but nothing same problem, so I was about to get stuck in with MB, and Graphics Card, but suddendly out of nowhere it came back to life, so reconnected everything back exactly as it was and working reliable again.

So what on the earth could of been the problem, the PC, MB, RAM, Graphics Card, and PSU is only a year old, yet now I no longer trust my reliable PC anymore. For now on, i'm turning during a storm even if its connected a surge protector or not...

Solution
a surge protector is nothing against a lightning strike. a quality power supply will allow itself to blow out and break the circuit before passing on the surge to the PC.
the best practice during an electrical storm is to unplug the PC for the duration.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
a surge protector is nothing against a lightning strike. a quality power supply will allow itself to blow out and break the circuit before passing on the surge to the PC.
the best practice during an electrical storm is to unplug the PC for the duration.

Solution