[SOLVED] PC died. Need help choosing new parts

jrhansen

Reputable
May 30, 2016
My budget: under 1000$ (not set in stones)

Purchase: Soon, as old PC died on me

I plan to reuse what works if its not outdated and fits the new hardware

PC usage:

Desktop PC for home usage.
A combination of 1: Music production (DAW, Softsynths etc), 2: Every day use, 3: Some Gaming (MMORPG's mostly).

I primarily need stability. (No OC) fo the Music applicationsShould be able to handle most modern games at a decent

Parts: This is what I am looking for being up to date and able to perform to my needs:

MB: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
RAM: 2x16Gb sticks (suggestions here)
System SSD: Nvme 1Tb min
Data Disk: Salvageable from old PC or maybe later updates. Propably 3-4 Sata Discs.
GPU: Salvageable from Old PC (Asus 660Ti GTX -top) Will update later or may use onboard GPU for a bit see how it performs.
PC case: salvageble from old PC (Older Chieftec Midi Tower)
PSU: New 6-700W 80+
Salvageable DVD-rw.
OS : Don't need I think but will purchase if I can't move Win 10 over to New hardware

Current PC specs :
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
Intel i7 3770K
16Gb DDR3-1600
256Gb Intel SATA SSD
4 Sata Discs (ranging from 1-2 TB)
Asus Geeforce 660Ti -top II
Creative X-Fi (pci-e)
Please tell your current PC specs , especially if you are upgrading , as this helps forum members to know compatible parts. If you want a fresh build , you may leave it blank , but I would recommend you to fill this

I may upate some parts later.
-The Asrock board apparently can have a TB add-on card installed wich might be needed for a new external Audio interface with better latency than my current USB-2 interface.
-Currently only need 32Gb Ram, but might want 64Gb later on. The MB do support 4 slots and up to 128Gb but seems to be running slower if 4 slots is mounted..?

Solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qWgGx6

I'd do something similar to this. Should suit all your needs. It will allow you to put any of your add on audio cards you need. Fits your original budget and includes a gpu. Of course you can mix it up and choose your own components, but I think this is a solid build, and should check all the boxes. Should slay all the games you want to play, and will definitely multitask very well.

The gpu I selected is what I would consider the 1660 counterpart from AMD. Watch some reviews to help you with your choice.

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
MB: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 (??) why x570 chipset if a 450 could do cost wise better?
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400g
RAM: 2x8Gb sticks
System SSD: Nvme 500gb

(Asus 660Ti GTX -top) Will update later or may use onboard GPU for a bit see how it performs. Perish the thought. Burn it from your mind.

PSU: New 6-700W 80+ 600 or even 550W silver + should suffice. with that amount of data disks go for modular cable management ones.
Salvageable DVD-rw. we can drop that. really.

Creative X-Fi (pci-e) Good.

A combination of 1: Music production (DAW, Softsynths etc), 2: Every day use, 3: Some Gaming (MMORPG's mostly).

I primarily need stability. (No OC) fo the Music applicationsShould be able to handle most modern games at a decent (do get yourself at least a 1650 Super and we are in the decent range. )

Reactions: jrhansen
Your current pc died? How so? Just asking as your gpu may not be salvageable. But that will all depend on how/why your current setup died.

B450 boards will more than likely serve your current needs, and save a rather large some of money.

If you will move to 64gb later, buy it now. Mixing ram is never a good idea, and is not guaranteed it will work. Unless you buy 32 now and sell it later when you actually need the 64.

You'll have to jump through some hoops, but win10 should be able to be reused. You can always activate after building as well.

As far as salvageable drives, same as gpu. What happened to your current rig, and are you sure these still work? Case, of course, can be reused. Only need to upgrade if you want better looks, cable management, rgb, etc.

You can certainly build a solid rig for 1000. Where are you located? That will help in folks recommendations.

jrhansen

Reputable
May 30, 2016
MB: Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 (??) why x570 chipset if a 450 could do cost wise better?
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400g
RAM: 2x8Gb sticks
System SSD: Nvme 500gb

(Asus 660Ti GTX -top) Will update later or may use onboard GPU for a bit see how it performs. Perish the thought. Burn it from your mind.

PSU: New 6-700W 80+ 600 or even 550W silver + should suffice. with that amount of data disks go for modular cable management ones.
Salvageable DVD-rw. we can drop that. really.

Creative X-Fi (pci-e) Good.

I primarily need stability. (No OC) fo the Music applicationsShould be able to handle most modern games at a decent (do get yourself at least a 1650 Super and we are in the decent range. )

Ya I got the AMD's mixed up a bit since I always was an intel guy. I know the 3700X don't have buildin GPU :)

The X570 Ph Ga 4 seemed reasonable in price, and it should be able to fit a TB addon card to it, but this might be done to any board with an PCIE 1x4 card. I know an X470 would be cheaper, but seemed the X570 would be the best upgrade path. Might drop the oldish Creative card as nothing really supports it anymore. I only have it because its better sound quality and it has a decent asio support if I dont have my main music equip at home.

And like you pointed out a 1650 gpu or equivalent wouldn't be too over the top. Actually been looking for the 1660 super .. what would the equivalent AMD be today ?

I am using an Asus 27" 1080p 144hz monitor so whould be much better than the old 660ti. I am open to suggestions on other alternatives for sweetspot graphics for 1080p gaming. This is not too demanding as the PC would mostly be gaming some older titles, like WoW Legions and my old addiction EverQuest wich I still play from time to time without the hardcore raiding :)

I really need the upgrade from 16 to 32gb ram, as Win 10 is kinda greedy, and I run into trouble with my music at times. (When loading large Kontakt instruments it sometimes crashes Kontakt because it runs out of memory. This was a huge problem until I upgraded to a 64bit vst host, but still happens at times.

Last edited:

jrhansen

Reputable
May 30, 2016
Your current pc died? How so? Just asking as your gpu may not be salvageable. But that will all depend on how/why your current setup died.

B450 boards will more than likely serve your current needs, and save a rather large some of money.

If you will move to 64gb later, buy it now. Mixing ram is never a good idea, and is not guaranteed it will work. Unless you buy 32 now and sell it later when you actually need the 64.

You'll have to jump through some hoops, but win10 should be able to be reused. You can always activate after building as well.

As far as salvageable drives, same as gpu. What happened to your current rig, and are you sure these still work? Case, of course, can be reused. Only need to upgrade if you want better looks, cable management, rgb, etc.

You can certainly build a solid rig for 1000. Where are you located? That will help in folks recommendations.

I am trying to figure out what happened to my system atm but am currently stuck, and its getting kinda old rig and will require to find some 2'nd hand parts online as its almost impossible to find a new 1155 socket mb or or cpu wich I have no way of knowing what shape they are in untill I have them in my hands. I think it might actually be my MB or CPU that is faulty as I have tried with another PSU wich didn't help.

Link to other post: Old Rig failure

I reseated the ram, checked the psu, tried another psu, unplugged all drives. Not able to check the cpu as I don't have another 1155 MB laying around. Havn't checked the ram as I havn't been able to get past the post state on booting. But it does detect all my drives and omboard devices like gpu, usb hub and marvel raid Ctrl in bios when the drives are are connected, and I can get into the Marvel bios too. It just won't post :(

I also removed the Asus GPU wich didn't make a diff, so have been checking with it in (not getting any error beeps .. just the regular 1 short beep)

Asus code 62 (Detecting ide drives) when entering bios

Loading optimized defaults or editing manually .. (same results) F10 , reboot
Startup. Last thing I can detect on mb before shutdown is code 99 (Super io initialization) pretty many codes flashing by

Last edited:

I'd do something similar to this. Should suit all your needs. It will allow you to put any of your add on audio cards you need. Fits your original budget and includes a gpu. Of course you can mix it up and choose your own components, but I think this is a solid build, and should check all the boxes. Should slay all the games you want to play, and will definitely multitask very well.

The gpu I selected is what I would consider the 1660 counterpart from AMD. Watch some reviews to help you with your choice.

Solution

jrhansen

Reputable
May 30, 2016

Ahh that was what I was looking for (the part picker)

If I am to buy all at once .. just have to decide if I want a new case too .. kinda getting hot on a new build like NOW .. :)

Here's what I came up to. From reviews and knowledge.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4qmXn7

Think the 3200 cl14 would be optimal, but its propably not the end of the world wether its 3200 or 3600 ram.
I heavily lean towards Samsung as they are kinda defacto leading in SSD's. The Asrock X570 model here is especially good deal where I live, and buying online from the US I have to add Danish WAT wich mean, considering the added shipping time too, even I "could" save a few bucks on 1 or 2 of the parts incl danish tax I would rather buy local, even some of the prices is a little higher here. Much easier if I have to return something. Here's the build I am at at this moment. Only thing I can't find local prices on yet is the RX 5600 XT. I think the RX5700/XT is a bit pricey here and since I don't plan on buying a higher res Monitor yet, the 5600 XT or a GTX 1660S propably as high as I would go

Reactions: jodo_kast2

jodo_kast2

Prominent
Mar 5, 2018
Ahh that was what I was looking for (the part picker)

If I am to buy all at once .. just have to decide if I want a new case too .. kinda getting hot on a new build like NOW .. :)

Here's what I came up to. From reviews and knowledge.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4qmXn7

Think the 3200 cl14 would be optimal, but its propably not the end of the world wether its 3200 or 3600 ram.
I heavily lean towards Samsung as they are kinda defacto leading in SSD's. The Asrock X570 model here is especially good deal where I live, and buying online from the US I have to add Danish WAT wich mean, considering the added shipping time too, even I "could" save a few bucks on 1 or 2 of the parts incl danish tax I would rather buy local, even some of the prices is a little higher here. Much easier if I have to return something. Here's the build I am at at this moment. Only thing I can't find local prices on yet is the RX 5600 XT. I think the RX5700/XT is a bit pricey here and since I don't plan on buying a higher res Monitor yet, the 5600 XT or a GTX 1660S propably as high as I would go
Decent enough and solid midrange card. Happy building.