Pc died, not posting

Alex60134

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
My pc died last night. To give full context of the situation, I was watching streaming video on one screen, while spectating a game on the other. It crashed soon after I loaded into the spectate.
I thought I got a whiff of plastic soon after it went off. To the naked eye there's no visible burns/scorch marks, busted capacitors or anything noticeably wrong. Inspection right after dying showed a very hot cpu heatsink, and removal of the hsf actually took the chip right out of the socket with it, thru being locked down. No visible pin damage but That made me lean towards it perhaps being an overheated and therefore fried pcu, as it appeared the thermal paste was fairly light as well and the chip actually needed to be pried off of the heatsink, but I thought most systems would recognize the overheat and shutdown before allowing it to fry (hence why pcu chips rarely die).
Now when I boot it, it runs (case fan, video card fans, and cpu fan) but doesn't post. 0 beeps from Internal speaker. I've done pretty minimal testing of individual parts so far, as it happened late last night and I work early.

I have a fairly new psu and its waaaay over minimum (it's 800w raid max vampire and the same system ran on a 650w corsair consistently for a year+).
I started to re-piece together my older parts to get testing going. Unfortunately I won't have socket compatibility to test mobo/cpu. I've run through most of the basic troubleshooting, but there's some things I'll still need to try.

I'm mostly looking for any preliminary ideas as to what went wrong. Chip/mobo are about 3 years old, video card about 5.5 years. New ssd and hdd although I don't think those are even in question as the culprits.
I'm really hoping it wasn't the psu frying most of my system but it seems like most of my pc troubles are always "when it rains it's pours" scenarios.
I'll update when I get more testing done this afternoon, namely breadboard and psu swap.