PC died on me! Help!

alexjay2010

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
My computer turns on but displays nothing, help!?

My computer died on me while surfing the web last week. It just turned itself off.

So to attemp to fix the pc, so far I have replaced the motherboard with a brand new one. And still same problem.

PC powers up, all lights flash etc but nothing comes up on screen. Screen does work because I have tested it with a laptop,

I am assuming the power supply is good because it is powering up the motherboard, harddrive and dvd rom. The CPU fan spins and so does the case fan.

I am now left with either, replace the RAM, Harddrive or CPU.

The CPU was brand new a few months ago, when I tested the CPU. Fan temp was very good and compatible with the motherboard.

So what can the problem be? I mean when I turn on the PC I hear no bleeps, the monitor just says 'no signal' when the pc is running.

So is the problem memory, hard drive or CPU (which was newly upgraded months ago with problems at all).

Or could it be power supply despite the PSU powering everything up?

Im really lost?

Any ideas? Thanks!

(PC: 450W PSU / CORE 2 DUO 8600 / 2GB RAM / MSI MOTHERBOARD / 320GB SATA HD / WIN XP / ATI HD 3650)

Really need more details on the motherboard please, in fact all relevant model numbers if you could,

Do you have onboard graphics or just the ati card?
I'd first look at the card, check that in another pc if you can, or another card in your Mobo, and if you have the onboard option, try that
check your cables too

The psu may be struggling, check http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ to see roughly what you need, take into account the quality and age of the unit as well,

Download Memtest to test your ram if required, although a workaround ist try booting up with single sticks, if a stick is bad, it wont boot.

Theres a checklist/troubleshooter guide here,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/288241-13-read-posting-buyer-guides-troubleshooting
Run through that and duoblecheck anything you may have missed,

Other things to maybe think of, bios/drivers/windows updates up to date and correct?
hope this helps,
Moto

TRENDING THREADS