[SOLVED] PC Died - Won't start at all when GPU is plugged into PSU, likely culprit?

Jun 30, 2021
Hello,

PC decided to die on me yesterday while I was playing a game -- no BSOD or anything, just turned off -- nothing else lost power, no breakers tripped. I've had this system for about 3-4 years or so.

Managed to get the system running again, but only when the GPU is unplugged from the power supply. When plugging the GPU in, the computer will not start at all, no fans, lights or anything.

Hitting the power switch I'll hear a click from the PSU, and then holding the power switch down as if to shut the PC off, I'll hear the power-off click.

So right now I'm using the onboard graphics, but what's interesting is the GPU lights are on and the fans do this little intermittent jig, which I'm assuming is from the power draw from the PCI-E slot.

GPU is obviously not completely dead, but could there still be an issue with the GPU even though the lights and fans seem to work?

I've tried swapping out the power cable with a new one, and tried using the other port on the PSU, no dice. Tried flashing the BIOS, and replugging the CMOS battery. Seems like a hardware problem though with the PC refusing to power on at all when GPU is plugged in.

I don't know enough about hardware or electronics to narrow down the culprit, but wondering if anyone has some ideas.

Would prefer if it were the PSU having an issue honestly as that's the easier replacement given the state of GPU market.

Thanks!

Specs:
Intel i7-6700k
ASUS Z170-A Motherboard
EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 SC
EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2 Gold PSU
16 GB Ram

Last edited:
Solution
Hey thanks for the quick replies!

So does it seem strange that the GPU lights up from the PCI-E power draw though? Could that still happen even if there is fault with the GPU?

I don't know if these things are compartmentalized in the hardware or something, like some aspect of the GPU that the PSU interacts with is causing issue, but same issue isn't coming up from the PCI-E draw?

Unfortunately don't have any spare parts to test with, but I might purchase a new PSU just to try that, and worst case scenario is package it up for a future build or maybe even send it back, if it turns out the GPU is at fault.

If its not much to ask, please write down what happend when you are done testing. It will be great to find out which was...
That said, I wouldnt rule out the GPU having died and the PSU refuses to power what might be excessive power draw. My EVGA 1070SC died, and it sure looked like my PSU was bad, but wasn't.
You need to find a similar GPU or PSU to swap in and know for sure, or perhaps bring one or both to a shop to be tested

Jun 30, 2021

So does it seem strange that the GPU lights up from the PCI-E power draw though? Could that still happen even if there is fault with the GPU?

I don't know if these things are compartmentalized in the hardware or something, like some aspect of the GPU that the PSU interacts with is causing issue, but same issue isn't coming up from the PCI-E draw?

Unfortunately don't have any spare parts to test with, but I might purchase a new PSU just to try that, and worst case scenario is package it up for a future build or maybe even send it back, if it turns out the GPU is at fault.

If its not much to ask, please write down what happend when you are done testing. It will be great to find out which was the culprit. Thank you.

Solution