Question PC died, would transfering a *potentially* faulty (Possibly due to PSU/surge) NVMe to a brand new PC harm it?

Dec 28, 2019
Hello guys.

Few days ago my new PC of 2 months randomly turned off and wouldn't turn on again. I suspected some sort of PSU issue but its a decent corsair one so maybe I had some sort of surge. Anyway, I bought another PC in the meantime and I am trying to transfer data from my old SSD/HDD to my new but I am scared of putting them in my new PC incase they were damaged and could therefore "kill" my new PC.

I bought an SATA>USB adapter to try and get some files from my old PC (The one I had before the new one I mentioned just died) it worked fine until I swapped the PSU's the test them and since then that PC will turn on but will not boot (No image, can't hear any bios sounds etc) today I used the SATA>USB adapter on the HDD from that PC and it didn't even turn on, so I suspect the NEW corsair PSU that was faulty damaged it. (Oh and my super old HD from my 2007 PC works, so theres that ) Now, the NVMe ssd I have which is in my "new" 2 month old PC could also be faulty, but if I buy an PCI-e SSD to PCI Express adapter is there any chance at all that that could in turn damage my new PC that I got the other day? I'm actually just really paranoid.

So TL;DR; can a faulty/dead NVMe SSD damage a new PC when put in it?

Oh and just for informations sake, I used the adapter on my HDD from the PC that died and it worked. But my important files are all on the NVMe...and I know, I should have a backup, I literally had them all on my USB stick but pasted them onto my new PC instead of just copying, didn't think my new PC would die this soon but yeah fool me once...

Edit: Also, assuming its safe to do so, how will having 2 ssds both with windows on work? Will there be any problems with that or will it just boot from the first SSD that came pre-installed with windows? Should I disconnect my other SSD first to avoid this?

2nd Edit: I've just ordered a USB caddy/adapter for NVMe cards, didn't even know they did them. Atleast this way I can safely access it without damaging my new PC, just hope it works!

Thank you.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2019
Yeah I have a fully modular PSU (The new one which "died" and my older one of the same make is non modular, due to this I was unable to connect the PC's power on button to my older PSU but it got the fans going atleast although nothing else. I've seen some videos about removing a chip from a non spinning HDD that regulated the voltage or protects it from surges and what not, I don't have a soldering iron to hand so I might have to make do without.