Question pc died

May 12, 2019
Hello
My pc has died. When I boot it up it goes to a black screen and doesn't beep at all. How do I find out if it's totally dead? I'm not very hardware savy.

Thanks

Ken

most folks, and understandably so, are going to want some system specs before venturing down a specific troubleshooting path...

Some systems (those with iGPU capabilities) have more options available than others...

No display when powering on, however, can be as simple as a PSU, or as complex as any connected component shorting out the PSU preventing proper power on/POST, or, even the GPU (if a discrete GPU) might have died, which does happen...

However, I'd review a few Youtube tutorials on PC troubleshooting before getting in over your head, as even reseating components (or attempting to) or simple component swaps can induce issues if not done carefully/correctly. (swapping a PSU is not hard, but, be sure to use all new modular cables that came with the new PSU with the new PSU, as reutilizing even an old SATA pwr cable can burn out your drives, and reusing a PCI-e GPU supplemental pwr cable can burn out original GPU if at the first power on)

May try reseating a CPU, and then damage the socket and/or CPU in the process, massively compounding whatever the original issue was...

May 12, 2019
Hello

The model is

Lenovo IdeaCentre Y700 i7 GTX970 Desktop

I wasn't doing anything before it died. It worked on Saturday I went to bed and when I woke up on Sunday it didn't work anymore.

Are there any obvious checks that I can do that don't require opening up the box? I'm not very hardware savvy and it's very possible I've just done something dumb.

Thanks

Ken

TRENDING THREADS