Sep 25, 2021
I've recently started getting this problem, where when playing games my monitor just goes black (no hdmi signal) and pc starts making louder noise, I can hear whatever is happening on the pc but I cant see anything and next time I boot up my PC everything is normal until I play a game and the exact same thing happens again. This happens only when I play some more demanding games such as GTA V or Dead by Daylight, games like Fortnite cannot even be launched without my pc crashing, as of right now I haven't had any crashes outside of gaming. At first I thought it was overheating but even after installing 4 new case fans this issue still happens. Its not gpu drivers either as updating the drivers didn't fix this. I assume some part of my hardware is faulty, but I'm struggling to find out what exactly causes the issue. The black screen while I can still hear stuff makes me think my gpu is the problem, but I've been surfing the web and some say a faulty psu could cause this. Someone on reddit recommended to try lowering my framerate on games to see if I'll be able to run them like that and after cutting my fps in Dead by Daylight in half I could play for around 4 days with that fps without crashing, but the issue happened again yesterday, so I feel like whatever is going on is getting worse. I have 2 cable adapters in my case, one to connect the psu to the cpu and one to connect the psu to the graphics card and it has been working perfectly fine like that for over a year. Specs: Ryzen 5 3600, Zotac GTX 1660Ti, MSI B450 Tomahawk and PSU is Chieftec APB-500B8. Anyway, I really need to fix this soon so If someone could tell me what's the cause of this/what should I do to fix this I'd really appreciate all the help I can get.

EDIT: If you're pretty sure that you know what part needs to be replaced I'd also appreciate some part recommendations that are compatible with the rest of my pc at the end of the reply, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Solution
Yup, I'd be suspicious of the PSU too. Sudden crashes at load tend to be temperature or power delivery and if you've ruled out the former, then the latter becomes even more likely. And since you're using a very low-quality PSU, that's even more reason to be suspicious; it's difficult to diagnose issues like this with the unknown of a junk PSU in the mix.
It does sound like a psu issue. To eliminate everything else try actually monitoring your system temps through the use of 3rd party software or overlays such as MSI afterburner/RTSS. But from what your saying to me personally it does sound like a lower quality psu struggling to keep up and giving way.

Reactions: sv1x

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yup, I'd be suspicious of the PSU too. Sudden crashes at load tend to be temperature or power delivery and if you've ruled out the former, then the latter becomes even more likely. And since you're using a very low-quality PSU, that's even more reason to be suspicious; it's difficult to diagnose issues like this with the unknown of a junk PSU in the mix.

Reactions: sv1x
Solution