Question PC display keeps on crashing with "LiveKernelEvent 141" ?

Mar 5, 2023
Hi, I built a pc a few months ago and it has been crashing randomly, where the display goes black but the pc keeps running, only a hard reboot can temporarily solve this problem. I've tried reinstalling the graphics card, memory and all that, even tried replugging psu cables, nothing worked. It shows a "LiveKernelEvent 141" error every time, but any diagnostics on the graphics card and memory doesn't produce any errors. Anyone got similar experiences? I'm using a 3070 with a Ryzen 5 5600.

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
Is black screening becoming an epidemic? Or am I just too new to the forums?

Same problem here. As much as I hoped against it, it turns out my GPU is no good.

You can try using DDU to completely wipe all remnants of old Nvidia drivers and then download the latest driver from Nvidia's website and do a clean install. Don't use GeForce Experience.
View: https://youtu.be/F8OLhUAPDq0

That might fix it.

If not and you have a spare GPU lying around that you know is good, put it in your PC and see if it still crashes. That critical error seems generally to relate to GPU failure, especially in this case.

Mar 5, 2023
Is black screening becoming an epidemic? Or am I just too new to the forums?

Same problem here. As much as I hoped against it, it turns out my GPU is no good.

You can try using DDU to completely wipe all remnants of old Nvidia drivers and then download the latest driver from Nvidia's website and do a clean install. Don't use GeForce Experience.
View: https://youtu.be/F8OLhUAPDq0

That might fix it.

If not and you have a spare GPU lying around that you know is good, put it in your PC and see if it still crashes. That critical error seems generally to relate to GPU failure, especially in this case.

Thanks a lot for the reply, I tried doing this process twice but it keeps on happening regardless. It just goes black randomly, no matter the task I was doing at the time. I also suspected it might be a GPU hardware issue, but it's only around 5 months old, so I'd like to try everything first before having it replaced.

I got another old GTX 1650 with broken fans, I might slot it in if this happens again. Thanks again.

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
Absolutely try everything first.

I'm still not 100% certain my card is bad, which is why I'm waiting on my friend to let me plug my card into his rig to see if it fails, even though my system has been fine with the older card in it. But I want to be 100% sure before I send it to MSI. I bought the card less than a month ago.

There's so many things that can go wrong with a PC and diagnostic tools might not be able to catch everything.

Have you looked over all the components to see if there's any physical damage, like something burning out on the motherboard, etc?

Have you tried Memtest86 on the RAM?

You could also try a CPU stress test. I did one with CPU-Z but it isn't the best.

Anyway, just keep researching and testing things until you know for sure what the issue is.

Mar 5, 2023
Absolutely try everything first.

I'm still not 100% certain my card is bad, which is why I'm waiting on my friend to let me plug my card into his rig to see if it fails, even though my system has been fine with the older card in it. But I want to be 100% sure before I send it to MSI. I bought the card less than a month ago.

There's so many things that can go wrong with a PC and diagnostic tools might not be able to catch everything.

Have you looked over all the components to see if there's any physical damage, like something burning out on the motherboard, etc?

Have you tried Memtest86 on the RAM?

You could also try a CPU stress test. I did one with CPU-Z but it isn't the best.

Anyway, just keep researching and testing things until you know for sure what the issue is.
Everything looks pristine, there aren't even much dust on the components. I haven't tried Memtest yet, but as I was using Windows Memory Diagnostics it happened again at around 10%, that's why I ruled out the RAM.

It's very hard to test as it happens really randomly, sometimes after a whole week. It's just that it happened every 30 minutes this weekend for some reason, but so far it hasn't happened today. I'm sure it'll be back though. I have GPU Z running in the background collecting info in case it crashes again. Thanks for the CPU suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Zinni

Prominent
Oct 15, 2021
Everything looks pristine, there aren't even much dust on the components. I haven't tried Memtest yet, but as I was using Windows Memory Diagnostics it happened again at around 10%, that's why I ruled out the RAM.

It's very hard to test as it happens really randomly, sometimes after a whole week. It's just that it happened every 30 minutes this weekend for some reason, but so far it hasn't happened today. I'm sure it'll be back though. I have GPU Z running in the background collecting info in case it crashes again. Thanks for the CPU suggestion, I'll give it a try.
So it crashed during the Memory Diagnostics?