[SOLVED] Pc displays "the system POSTed in safe mode" for no reason

foxfries

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
Hey, i recently had my mainboard replaced since my old one caused my pc to crash at random times. That problem doesn't occur anymore but since then i sometimes face a different problem when i boot up my pc.
Once every two weeks or so i'll go to turn on my pc as usual and it starts like it usually does but then i get a screen that says "the system has POSTed in safe mode. This may be due to the previous POST failing or due to the pc having been forced to shut down by pressing the power button" or something along those lines after which i'm sent into the BIOS to boot windows from there.
I haven't made any changes to anything since i got it back from the IT shop and i never force shutdown when i turn it off at night. I was going to contact the IT shop about it but i'm worried they'll have me bring it in again which is a problem since i don't have a car and basically have to carry it there and it's quite a heavy case so i decided to ask here first.
Any help is appreciated!

Solution
sorry for the belated update! i have good news.
since i reset the bios settings to default i haven't had anymore problems and it's been about a month since then.
if the problem resurfaces in the future i'll be back but for now this thread can be closed!

foxfries

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
Try this:

Click on Start.
Type msconfig. (This will bring up the System Configuration window.)
Go to the Boot tab.
If selected, remove the tick from Safe boot.
Click Apply and then OK.
Lastly, restart your computer.
See if this stops it from randomly posting to safe mode.

the option isn't checked. i called an IT store and they suggested reinstalling windows so i guess i'll be doing that sometime soon and report back on whether that solved the issue! either way i appreciate it!

popatim

Titan
It jumps to the top with new posts.

List your PC's specs for use with make and model# of the various major parts.
To me this sounds like it might be an automatic overclock or setting that the motherboard couldn't re-establish, or even a weak cmos battery. LoL

foxfries

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
It jumps to the top with new posts.

List your PC's specs for use with make and model# of the various major parts.
To me this sounds like it might be an automatic overclock or setting that the motherboard couldn't re-establish, or even a weak cmos battery. LoL

sorry for the late response again, i get really busy from time to time and forget about things.
i noticed that if i hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds before turning on the power and starting the pc, the frequency of the safe mode POSTing seems to decrease. not sure what that means.
the safe POSTing happened again recently though so i reset the BIOS to the default settings and took a picture of what was apparently changed? none of these changes i've made myself, except for the last one of disabling fast boot. i uploaded the image to imgur: View: https://imgur.com/a/X9DlU38

my pc specs are the following:

Cpu: Intel Core i7-6700k 4GHz
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix H270F
GPU: Asus Nvidia Gtx 1060 Dual 6GB
RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 RAM 2133 MHz, 2 x 8GB
Power: BeQuiet! Straightpower 500W BQT E7

Cpu cooler: Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO

1 x SSD, 100GB with Windows 10 installed
2 x HDD, 500GB
1 x HDD, 3TB

if you needed more specific information on the hardware i have then i apologize and would need to know where to find that specific information!

regards

foxfries

Reputable
Feb 14, 2019
sorry for the belated update! i have good news.
since i reset the bios settings to default i haven't had anymore problems and it's been about a month since then.
if the problem resurfaces in the future i'll be back but for now this thread can be closed!

Solution