Question PC does not boot after shutdown, only after a while (1-a few hours) it will boot normally again first try

Sep 30, 2023
My (new) System:
Gigabyte b650 gaming x ax Bios version F9d
Ryzen 7800X3D
XFX 7800XT
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz CL30 AMD Expo iCUE (CMK32GX5M2B6000Z30)
BeQuiet PurePower 12M 750W
Some (old) Samsung SSD and (very old) Seagate SSHD

Old System:
AsRock z97X Killer
i5 4700 )i think)
Readon R9 290X
ingston KHX16C10B1K2/16X HyperX (KHX16C10B1K2/16X)
Old BeQuiet PW
Same Storage devices

Now here is my Problem: When I normally shut down my Pc it is very likely to not boot up again unless I wait for a long period of time or play around with PowerBTN, turning PW on/off, Clearing Cmos or reinstalling Bios Battery.
When I start my pc in the morning it will start normally on the first try every time.
When not booing after shutdown Power LED flashes once for a fraction of a second and the fans begin to rotate for the same amount of time. After that The System is not responsive in any way.

This issue started on my old system about 1,5 -2 Years ago. Also other issues begann to bother me like slow shutdown and my pc powering on on its own during the night (it didnt stay in shutdown mode). Also i had issues with slow shutdown and hearing USB connect and disconnect sounds all the time periodicially. I actually dont really remember the exact order of these problems arising.
Normally i googled and tried to find broken USB devices and playing around with the usual fixes against slow Shutdown. Also i removed the rights to start my pc from all usb devices. After that my PC didnt boot itself anymore. The not booting after shutdown problem stayed. Next i replaced My Power Supply with my current one and also changed my BIOS battery after these problems intensifying. No change at all.
I eventually accepted my fate and thought it was my motherboard..

Fast forward to yesterday where i built my new PC while also formating my Storage devices and installing fresh windows still having the issue of not beeing able to power on my system after shutting it down.
Only Parts that are not new are: Case, Storage devices and peripherals.
Naturally i thought it can only be these parts. So i disconnected my Power Button, Front panel USB headers (3.0 and 2.0), SSHD and all USB devices apart from Keyboard mouse and Headset using a screwdriver to power on my system. Im still getting the same Issue but on my new System it will work again most of the times after i turn my PW off and on again.
I dont know what to do anymore.. I will use different mouse and keyboard tomorrow but apart from that i am at the end of my capabilities.. i also did not find anything matching my problem on the internet so far. Maybe someone has a clue. Sorry for bad spelling.

TLDR: I Have an all new System apart from Case, Storage devices and peripherals and still facing the issue of a non bootable PC for a period of time after shutdown.

Sep 30, 2023
Are you on windows 10?

try turning this off and see if it makes any difference - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
i now disconnected the remaining USB devices (Headset, mouse and keyboard) used wireless mouse and keyboard combi instead, same problem but now pc wont turn on at all im writing this from my laptop... the only things connected rn are SSD with windows, LAN and from the Front panel of the Case only the audio.. I even changed Plug in the wall still not booting. when Powerligts and fans "flash" CPU LED is on and also 2 LEDs near the Power connections on my GPU

Sep 30, 2023
are you using same power board?

same outlet at house?

its odd it happens on 2 different pc. It makes it appear its not the PC themselves.

try plugging mouse/kb back in. Wireless can add an extra problem
I now was using a different outlet with the same result.. Powersupply is a few months old as i replaced this in my old system to fix this issue..
Now tried to boot, CPU, GPU and VGA LEDs were on briefly then system booted as normal. i plugged in normal mous and keyboard again.. i will leave everything unplugged i also unplugged front audio connector from the MB.. when i go to sleep i will try to boot after shutting down again.
Yeah it is so frustrating as this was a rather big reason for me to upgrade now in the first place and im kinda paranoid about things getting worse or causing wear or damage to my new components in the longrun.. in my old pc these issues felt like they were getting worse idk...

I could try running my system in another house at some point to see if there is a difference

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would be tempted to get PC tested at another location. If it still plays up, they might find cause. If it works perfectly fine there, it means the cause is something at your location, whether it be one of the peripherals or something else.

I had a problem I couldn't work out, we tried everything including reinstalling windows. It was testing it externally that showed me cause... it was one of the things I was plugging in, not the PC itself.

Sep 30, 2023
okay than i will do that in the next days, for me i have a lot of peripherals as i am simracing i try to give the powerhungry devices an outlet of their own.. but now they are all unplugged and im still running into this :(

Colif

Win 11 Master
if it still happens with all of them unplugged, it can't be them... so I would just use PC as usual and get it looked at when you can.

PC is fine when it runs, it just won't start. Have you tried using hibernate and see if it wakes up the next day? Its only a problem after you turn it off.

I will show link to others and see who has any ideas :)

Sep 30, 2023
if it still happens with all of them unplugged, it can't be them... so I would just use PC as usual and get it looked at when you can.

PC is fine when it runs, it just won't start. Have you tried using hibernate and see if it wakes up the next day? Its only a problem after you turn it off.

Okay I will try hibernate tomorrow meanwhile thank you so much for your efforts <3 :)

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Got a call and now i'm here. :)

Pc it is very likely to not boot up again unless I wait for a long period of time
This is indicator of iffy PSU.

Since you had Be Quiet! unit before producing this issue and while you did buy new PSU, but for some reason, again Be Quiet! one. :rolleyes: At this point, i'd switch out PSU with more reliable unit (Be Quiet! PSUs often cost premium compared to others, while offering worse reliability). For other good units, look towards Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi.

As long as you haven't tried with 2nd, known to work, good quality PSU, you can not rule out PSU issue. Also, this would be what i'd do.

Sep 30, 2023
Got a call and now i'm here. :)

This is indicator of iffy PSU.

Since you had Be Quiet! unit before producing this issue and while you did buy new PSU, but for some reason, again Be Quiet! one. :rolleyes: At this point, i'd switch out PSU with more reliable unit (Be Quiet! PSUs often cost premium compared to others, while offering worse reliability). For other good units, look towards Seasonic Focus/PRIME or Corsair RMx/RMi/HXi/AXi.

As long as you haven't tried with 2nd, known to work, good quality PSU, you can not rule out PSU issue. Also, this would be what i'd do.
hmm i could ask my friends if i can try their psu

Sep 30, 2023
Okay today i tried booting with hibernate on, did not make a difference. Then i unplugged everything of the case from, only thing plugged into the MB was cpu fan, mouse network cable and keyboard it did not boot after shutdown. (no front panel switches and i crefully shortet PWS pins)

now im thinking it can only be the electricity in my apartment or the PSU?
Also im thinking it could be some sort of grounding issue with my case so i am tempted to run it outside of the case, will also do a paperclip test of the PSU.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
will also do a paperclip test of the PSU.
All this does, is like you turning on the car engine and when engine starts, you instantly assume that the car drives just fine, without ever doing the test drive.
So, no. Just turning on the PSU, without putting any load to it, doesn't mean PSU works fine.

now im thinking it can only be the electricity in my apartment
Proper, high quality UPS will fix that. But one such unit costs quite a bit, easy 200-300 bucks. So, getting a new PSU would be cheaper. Still, UPS is great piece of hardware and IMO, all PCs should be backed up by an UPS (two of my PCs are).

Reactions: Hubert Mayer