Question PC Does Not Detect SSD and Unable to Boot to Known Working Windows 11 USB Even After Mobo Replacement

May 12, 2023
My post on reddit has not been getting any traction so I am posting here for help.

Start of Problems:
Computer completely froze playing Warzone. At first it seemed to be just the game, but within a few second the rest of the programs had stopped responding and I had to perform a reset by holding down the power button.
Upon restart the computer would enter bios and not detect my SSD w/ the W11 OS.

Troubleshooting Steps:
Using Windows 11 Bootable USB that works on another computer I was able to select the USB drive to boot where it loads the windows logo and then has a loading wheel. The logo disappears and so does the wheel, my USB seemingly stops being used and the computer does nothing.
I was busy and just went the quick/easy route and I decided to replace my motherboard. I replaced my motherboard with a Z490 by MSI and the same issue is happening.
I cannot get my SSD even recognized in BIOS as a boot option and I cannot boot to a known working Windows 11 bootable USB. Instead of the Windows Logo however I am just stuck at a "MAG" logo and a spinning wheel.
I have swapped the sata cable as well as the power cable to the SSD.

Does this sound like it could be a CPU issue or a PSU issue?

Hardware:
CPU - Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
Mobo - Gigabyte Z490 VISION G ATX LGA1200 Motherboard replaced w/ MSI Z490
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Video Card - Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 GB
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GT, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular (Originally thought I had, Corsair CX750 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply)
SSD - Samsung SSD 500 GB

Additional Info:
I can see elsewhere in Bios that my SSD is being detected (shows Samsung 500 GB w/ 400 GB free).
I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, however, the computer was working fine in Windows 11 for a few weeks prior to this issue.
Embarrisingly enough upon the Mobo replacement I realized I left the CPU cooler sticker on the CPU cooler so it might have been overheating. Do these issues seem like a CPU problem?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU - Corsair CX750 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Is the unit the one with the green label or the grey label?

SSD - Samsung SSD 500 GB
Samsung have a number of SSD's in their product portfolio, which one do you have?

As for your build, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Might also be a good idea to inspect the CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins. Speaking of CPU sockets, how are you cooling that processor?

I recently upgraded from Windows 10 to Windows 11, however, the computer was working fine in Windows 11 for a few weeks prior to this issue.
Once you've upgraded to Windows 11 using the internal upgrade path, you're advised to create a bootable installer for Windows 11 and reinstall the OS after a format.

Last edited:
Reactions: st0rmbrkr
May 12, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

PSU - Corsair CX750 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Is the until the one with the green label or the grey label?

SSD - Samsung SSD 500 GB
Samsung have a number of SSD's in their product portfolio, which one do you have?

As for your build, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Might also be a good idea to inspect the CPU's socket for any bent or broken pins. Speaking of CPU sockets, how are you cooling that processor?

Once you've upgraded to Windows 11 using the internal upgrade path, you're advised to create a bootable installer for Windows 11 and reinstall the OS after a format.
PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GT, 80 Plus Gold 650W, Fully Modular (My Mistake - the corsair is in a different build and I got confused)
SSD - SAMSUNG 870 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E500B/AM)

CPU - Cooling using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler. I didn't notice any broken pins, but I should reinspect.

As for the motherboard, I don't know the BIOS version off the top of my head but it would have been whatever ships with MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX Gaming Motherboard.

As for the Windows Upgrade - I did not reinstall the OS after a format.

Thanks for taking some time to respond. Any little lead really helps me a lot and I really appreciate it.