[SOLVED] PC does not POST after adding new RAM

loukesmail

Honorable
Sep 7, 2018
My PC has been working well for a year now, and I wanted to upgrade my RAM, I bought two sticks of 8gb DDR4 3000MHZ Corsair RAM to replace my two sticks of 4GB DDR4 3000MHZ ADATA RAM. Now my PC does not post. Fans and lights work but no display or USB function. I put my old RAM back in but now that doesn't POST either! I have checked everything. Also reset the CMOS already.

What's weird is that when I first built this PC it never POSTED. 3 months of troubleshooting later and it POSTED after moving my CPU FAN cable to a CHA_FAN port. Later on I moved it back to the CPU FAN port because the fans were running slow and it still worked.
Needless to say I'm so lost because nothing here makes sense. All my cables are correct, no shorts from the case. My PC has been working great for a year, but I replace the RAM and now it doesn't POST at all, not even with the old RAM that worked!

Here are my specs.

Cpu:Ryzen 5 2600
Mobo: Asus Prime B450 Plus
New Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz 2x8
Old ram that worked until I took it out: ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 DDR4 3000mhz 2x4
Gpu: GTX 970 OC
PSU: Corsair TX550M
Case: Phanteks P300
Regular HDD and SSD

Any help is really appreciated.

Solution
i would try reseating the CPU and also check for any damaged pins.

also try a different PSU. the TX series is pretty well rated but you never know when some devices may still malfunction.

and contact ASUS support and see if they have any specific troubleshooting they want you to try, and request an RMA for the motherboard.
having issues with fan headers and now not posting would lead me to believe it is either the CPU and/or it's memory controller or the board itself.

loukesmail

Honorable
Sep 7, 2018
try each RAM module separately in each DIMM slot one at a time.
it's possible a DIMM slot was damaged or just malfunctioned.

Tried that, every RAM module in every DIMM slot individually. No POST or beeps from speaker at all. I'm very close to just hiring a professional to look at it hands on. I'm almost certain something has to be faulty because I've tried and triple checked everything out there.

also try a different PSU. the TX series is pretty well rated but you never know when some devices may still malfunction.

and contact ASUS support and see if they have any specific troubleshooting they want you to try, and request an RMA for the motherboard.
having issues with fan headers and now not posting would lead me to believe it is either the CPU and/or it's memory controller or the board itself.

Solution

loukesmail

Honorable
Sep 7, 2018

I'll try that. I don't have extra parts unfortunately and because we're in a lockdown I can't use my friends parts.

Can you tell me why my MOBO speaker won't beep when I boot with no RAM? Isn't that a sign the motherboard is faulty?

I agree, it has to be the CPU or Motherboard.

On the other hand, way back when I first built this PC I RMA'd the Motherboard and the guy told me it worked fine, he tested it using my exact parts at his work. I don't necessarily believe him but if he wasn't lying then the CPU has to be the issue right? What can I do to test if the CPU is faulty apart from reseating it like you said?

Luckily I kept all my documentation so I can RMA any part.

Can you tell me why my MOBO speaker won't beep when I boot with no RAM? Isn't that a sign the motherboard is faulty?
does the manual state that it has a specific memory error alarm? if not, than it wouldn't beep.
What can I do to test if the CPU is faulty apart from reseating it like you said?
testing it in another known functioning motherboard is the only way.
because we're in a lockdown I can't use my friends parts.
only if one or both of you are too paranoid to meet up. if stopped by police, which is very unlikely, all you have to do is say you're going shopping or out to exercise.