Question PC does not power on when ASUS Geforce RTX 4070ti Super is plugged in

Apr 15, 2024
Hi all,

PC will not power on when ASUS Geforce RTX 4070ti is plugged in (power cables). Initially I thought it was maybe the PSU so I ordered a new one. PC will fire up (loaded windows with no issues) with GPU cables unplugged OR when plugged into my temporary second PSU. Red light (shutdown/standby) stays on when unplugged or plugged into second PSU and fans have never spun. I ordered a replacement power splitter for GPU to see if it might be faulty preventing the PSU from powering up. PC will not fire up at all when gpu power (two single 8 pin from splitter) plugged into main PSU. 1000 should be more than sufficient for this set up. PCI_E1 and E3 are 4.0 on this motherboard. I have tried to fire up on both with no result.

Also removed/ reinstalled CMOS battery

Parts list:
-MSI Pro B760-P WIFI DDR4 (BIOS updated to latest)
-PSU Corsair RM1000x
-Cooler Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX XT
-Intel Core i9 14900k 3.2GHz
-ASUS Geforce RTX 4070Ti Super 16gb
-LL120s all hooked into the power module from the CPU cooler
-G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive

** - Replaced motherboard with MSI PRO-Z790-A WIFI and got the same result

****ISSUE RESOLVED**** I was using the 8 pin cpu cables when I should have been using the pcie cables...

Last edited:

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
I'm sorry to ask this of you but could you post your full spec sheet? I may know the issue but need to verify that it's not what it seems to me so...........................

Apr 15, 2024

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K 3.20 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
System Type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Version 23H2
OS Build 22631.2428
Installed on 5/6/2022 (not sure why it shows this date as I installed windows over the weekend)
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22674.1000.0

NanoSuit3

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2017
Okay, sorry it took so long to respond. I ran your rig under a bench and it came back normal. With that said; I kinda backtracked to when I first got *my* 4070 Ti Super and installed it. Wouldn't POST or display a pic. Then I realized that extension cable it came with had 2 plugs so I rerouted my 1300 Watt PSUs' cables to both, plugged it in; still no POST. THEN I noticed that the cable power LED wasn't lighting so I unplugged & replugged it while gently pushing it in and heard a firm snap & saw the LED light was on now. Powered it on & POSTed. Now I'm not saying you did the same thing maybe but maybe Breadboard your rig and do different slots or use something cuz you SHOULD have enough power from either or both at less then 800 Watts required. Lmk

Reactions: CJ7PC

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Do you get picture with no GPU plugged in the PCIE slots from CPU integrated from motherboard ports?

Are both PSUs same brand and model? Have you used the cables that came with the second PSU to test the rig? They're not interchangable specially if the two PSUs are different.

Apr 15, 2024
Okay, sorry it took so long to respond. I ran your rig under a bench and it came back normal. With that said; I kinda backtracked to when I first got *my* 4070 Ti Super and installed it. Wouldn't POST or display a pic. Then I realized that extension cable it came with had 2 plugs so I rerouted my 1300 Watt PSUs' cables to both, plugged it in; still no POST. THEN I noticed that the cable power LED wasn't lighting so I unplugged & replugged it while gently pushing it in and heard a firm snap & saw the LED light was on now. Powered it on & POSTed. Now I'm not saying you did the same thing maybe but maybe Breadboard your rig and do different slots or use something cuz you SHOULD have enough power from either or both at less then 800 Watts required. Lmk
Do you have have a lot of parts around?

I actually went out and purchased an MSI Ventus3x Geforce RTX 4070ti Super OC edition. Literally the same issue. Will not boot when gpu is plugged in. Also did cmos again. Both GPUs I hear a quiet click from the PSU.

The ASUS I did see the led light on but that was on even when power cables were not installed.

Apr 15, 2024
Do you get picture with no GPU plugged in the PCIE slots from CPU integrated from motherboard ports?

Are both PSUs same brand and model? Have you used the cables that came with the second PSU to test the rig? They're not interchangable specially if the two PSUs are different.
Yes running on integrated gpu. I have Windows loaded and BIOS/ firmware updated to latest. PSUs are same model and I did try cables from the new box.

Apr 15, 2024
Side question if you happen to know. How does the Motherboard power know its not plugged into the same PS? I plugged CPU power 1 and2 into one PS and ATX into the other. Didnt boot. Then plugged into same PS and it booted though fans didnt turn on. All fans connected into the module from the CPU cooler and I had that plugged into the other PS.

CPU power 1 and 2 (8 port and 4 port to 8 port) are also connected to a splitter I purchased separate.

Apr 15, 2024
I jumped the second PS and it worked as expected. I plugged the GPU into the second PS with the jumper cable in and the gpu prevents the PS from booting. I hear the same quiet click when I have the gpu plugged into the 1st PS. PC still booted as all the other cables are in the 1st PS

TRENDING THREADS