Pc does not turn on. Cpu fans spins for a second.

AlIs786

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
System is around 2 years old.

SPECS:

Intel i7 4790 3.6 ghz
Gigabyte b85m-d3h
Evga Gtx 1070 SC
Corsair CX850M 850w
Corsair Vengeance 12gb 1600 mhz

Last night i was using google chrome and watched some youtube videos. But i was tired and i decided to lie down, but unfortunately i fell asleep.

During that time there was a power outage.

So in the morning when i pressed the power button... nothing happened. Except for the cpu fan, which runs for a second or half.

I've tried the following solutions.

1. Resetted battery.
2. Unplugged and plugged everything (from the psu aswell).
3. Unplugged every thing and running with cpu and motherboard only.
4. Ran the motherboard outside the case.
5. Removed dust.

I couldn't do a paper clip test because I don't have a paper clip.

I am also using a voltage regulator because there is too much fluctuation in my area.

What could be the problem?

Need help :(

Solution
Yeah, as I said, newer psus have been built with this in mind so most likely you're good but can't guarantee. In fact, as they have long warranties, you likely can just RMA it and save yourself the money. Just get a surge protector power bar because I doubt power surges are over down there, for a while anyway, until all the power lines are back up.

Sedivy

Estimable
Does your voltage regulator include surge protection? Your psu should have technically protected you from this but depending on why the outage happened, it may have failed to a varying degree. I'd take the psu in for a checkup at the nearest repair shop, just to be sure if you don't want to be futzing with the psu yourself. Also, are you sure it's not the voltage regulator itself that's fried in some way? If you take it out, can you start the computer?

AlIs786

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
@Sedivy

I think it sort of provides protection.

Tried running it directly without the regulator... still nothing

Going to a shop is the first thing i would do in scenarios like these.. but there are holidays here and shops are closed :(

AlIs786

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
@Sedivy

Can i do the paper clip test without taking psu out of the case.

One more thing, when i try to run the system directly from the wall...even the cpu fan doesn't spin.. it only spins when i run the system on voltage regulator.

Sedivy

Estimable
Well I suppose you can but you have to unplug everything it's plugged into, both in terms of computer parts, and from the wall. So...that all might be easier to do if you just take it out. But that part is up to you.

Sedivy

Estimable
Yeah, as I said, newer psus have been built with this in mind so most likely you're good but can't guarantee. In fact, as they have long warranties, you likely can just RMA it and save yourself the money. Just get a surge protector power bar because I doubt power surges are over down there, for a while anyway, until all the power lines are back up.

Solution

Sedivy

Estimable
You can't really tell from an image but it's not like there's going to be anything obviously melted and burned for you to see. You basically just rma (not sure if you can now that you've opened it), or take it to a repair shop and they do a voltage meter etc. and check if it's dead or alive.