[SOLVED] PC does not turn on most of the time when the power button is pressed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2022
I have a very odd issue I have never encountered with a computer so far. Basically the PC does not turn on anymore most of the times. It does eventually after like 10 tries of using the power button. When it doesn't start, just nothing happens EXCEPT that the USB power turns on but nothing else boots. I usually put it on and off multiple times until it actually boots "normally" again. What is weird here though, is that the mainboard is doing some weird stuff then, it basically turns on and off multiple times until it eventually catches itself and boots the PC normally. I am not sure if that is just because the PC didn't boot properly multiple times.

I have no idea what the issue might be but maybe my PSU is just faulty and no, I have no other to check right now. I already tried to check all the cables inside my PC and even went so far to replug them all on the mainboard and PSU. I also changed my power socket and tried turning off/on the PSU power button. Nothing changed anything.

The problem appeared out of nowhere a few days ago and I never had anything similar before. My PC is round about 3 years old.

Any ideas what it could be or what problem it sounds like? Anything I can still try except replacing the PSU?

Jun 9, 2022
CPU: Intel i7-9700K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Mainboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 750Watt

Jun 9, 2022
Hm. Not exactly surprised there really isn't any input on this here since the issue sounds like a prank.

Well I had the problem again yesterday and I was trying to make it boot 40 times with no avail.

Over the night I turned off all power on the PC just as a try. And yeah, it booted at the first try now.

This problems is seriously weird. I still think its most likely a faulty PSU but the behaviour of it is kinda odd.
I mean it is almost like something is wrong with the leftover charge or voltage? I might be versed in informatics but electricity isn't exactly something I am that versed in but I know these PSUs usually have a component that usually holds some sort of leftover charge, which is also why someone should definitely not open PSUs up. The thing is, I almost feel like the PSU is fine if most of the leftover charge dispersed over some hours and no other electricity laying on the PC. But yeah, it is really just guessing at this point what might be wrong.

In think I will look at the problem for a few more days and if I do not find a solution or it stops I will just try replacing the PSU and see.

UPDATE:
Well, the problem is fixed! I changed some BIOS settings. The main relevant settings were ERP to Enabled and PowerLoading to Enabled. I dont think ERP was the one fixing the problem. According to research PowerLoading is meant to reduce the stress and load it puts on PSUs at startup sequence. Because some older models might trigger the failsafe. While I wouldn't consider my model old it seems like this is exactly what is happening. Maybe just the first sign that my PSU starts to get older and doesn't like this high load on startup anymore. Makes me wonder why this is a BIOS setting to begin with? Why putting that much load on a PSU anyway? I noticed no difference or slowdown at boot now so it seems really unneccessary to put that much load on a PSU unit to begin with?

Interestingly enought the PowerLoading setting was on Auto before. Not sure what that means or if the Mobo is supposed to detect if there are PowerLoading issues. Maybe thats why sometimes the boot actually worked but whatever. My issue is fixed by setting it to enabled. Hope somebody might find this useful if someone has similar issues in the future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.