[SOLVED] PC does not turn on - which replacement PSU should I buy.

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
So for a while now my pc kept on going black whenever I played games on my PC, especially if they were more demanding. I tried to fix it several times but now my PC is literally not starting at all. I have tried replacing cables and nothing. Does this sound like a broken PSU?

My build is : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/pNXTK8

Do you recommend buying the same PSU version or something else if so could you please tell me what. Or if you have any ideas on how to fix my pc that would be fantastic.

Solution
Unfortunately I don't have a friend's PC which I can easily test to see what the problem is. Do you know a way I can check if it is the PSU or the graphics card? I have changed my PCIE slot and the GPU still made a noise and then started smoking
Don't retest the GPU - there is no question your GPU is toast.

Just it is possible for a PSU to cause the damage that has made the GPU faulty. But based on what you said, this is incredibly likely to just be GPU.

Get a new GPU, plug it in and I'm sure you're problem will be gone, if you then still have an issue, return the PSU. but regardless you need a new GPU, retesting that one can only cause more damage.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
When you say not starting - literally nothing happens when you press the power button? Or do you get some life?
That PSU is a good quality one yes.
What have you tried to fix it?
Presumably you also tried removing GPU entirely and running on integrated?

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
When you say not starting - literally nothing happens when you press the power button? Or do you get some life?
That PSU is a good quality one yes.
What have you tried to fix it?
Presumably you also tried removing GPU entirely and running on integrated?

Thank you for your speedy response. You are right, I removed my GPU and it ran on integrated graphics. Then I attached my GPU and it started smoking!! I instantly turned off my pc and I am scared to turn it back on with the GPU attached. do you think my GPU is completely dead. Note : I have a GTX 980ti

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
The GPU started smoking?
Then the GPU is probably toast.
Based on the fact that your problem was originally a signal problem, and now your GPU fried, I'd be replacing the GPU first.

How old is your PSU?

my entire build is around 4 years old, also if I do have to replace my Graphics card do you think I should buy another 980ti like I have or go for something in the 1070-80 range. I really really don't want to spend more than £400 if that!

Last edited:

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well the XFX is a Seasonic based model - so it is good quality. It also should have a 5 year warranty so should it be PSU this should cover it.

But to clarify, you DID get power, but you would get no signal originally?

If so, I would replace GPU, then retest. No doubt your GPU is probably toast now regardless.

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Well the XFX is a Seasonic based model - so it is good quality. It also should have a 5 year warranty so should it be PSU this should cover it.

But to clarify, you DID get power, but you would get no signal originally?

If so, I would replace GPU, then retest. No doubt your GPU is probably toast now regardless.

Thanks for the help, Just wondering do you have a reccomendation for which graphics card I should get. I dont want to be spending more than 400 pounds, should I go for a 980ti again or a 1070??
once again, thank you so much for your help!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the help, Just wondering do you have a reccomendation for which graphics card I should get. I dont want to be spending more than 400 pounds, should I go for a 980ti again or a 1070??
once again, thank you so much for your help!
Not eradicating the PSU from being the issue, it perfectly could be.

But just based on what you described, first thing I would swap is GPU.
If I were to chose between the 980 Ti and 1070 - i'd just go for whichever is cheaper as they're pretty similar, the 1070 is newer technology and is more power efficient though.

ambrosesainsbury

Reputable
Nov 10, 2015
Not eradicating the PSU from being the issue, it perfectly could be.

But just based on what you described, first thing I would swap is GPU.
If I were to chose between the 980 Ti and 1070 - i'd just go for whichever is cheaper as they're pretty similar, the 1070 is newer technology and is more power efficient though.

Unfortunately I don't have a friend's PC which I can easily test to see what the problem is. Do you know a way I can check if it is the PSU or the graphics card? I have changed my PCIE slot and the GPU still made a noise and then started smoking

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Don't retest the GPU - there is no question your GPU is toast.

Just it is possible for a PSU to cause the damage that has made the GPU faulty. But based on what you said, this is incredibly likely to just be GPU.

Get a new GPU, plug it in and I'm sure you're problem will be gone, if you then still have an issue, return the PSU. but regardless you need a new GPU, retesting that one can only cause more damage.

Solution