Question PC doesn’t respond to clicking on any icons, whole computer runs extremely slow from sign in and effectively doesn’t work.

BenX41

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
As stated in the title my PC is effectively busted, I’m not sure if it’s a virus or not but I know I do have corrupted files:
I booted the PC in safe mode (everything runs fine in this mode so far) and ran a ‘Sfc /Scan now’ which told me it had found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. I then tried ‘Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth’, however this got 83.5% done before giving me an Error:1084 (This service could not be started in safe mode).
I would try running this command normally but as stated my PC doesn’t respond to input when booted normally.
Please can someone help?
Update (Specs):
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core 3.6 GHz
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Hard Drive: Crucial MX500 CT2000MX500SSD1, 2 TB (3D NAND, SATA, 2.5 Inch, Internal SSD)
PSU: EVGA 650 GQ, 80+ GOLD 650W, Semi Modular
Windows version: Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.914)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 10 edition/version.

Include PSU.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some relevant error codes or warnings.

You can also look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what is running and what resources are being used.

BenX41

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Windows 10 edition/version.

Include PSU.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing some relevant error codes or warnings.

You can also look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe what is running and what resources are being used.
I’ve updated the post with my specs.
What should I be looking for in event viewer/reliability history? The only critical events in either is when I was deliberately interrupting the boot process to get to the auto repair screen.

BenX41

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
Well after hours upon hours of stress, trying everything I could, I was eventually able to roll back my windows to the previous version/update. This seems to have stopped the PC from running so slowly, and in turn allowed me to run the Dism and Sfc commands in a normal boot environment. For now everything seems to be working.

Ralston18

Titan
Good.

Critical events are important but warnings can be likewise important. Even an informational event.

Key is that event corresponds in some manner to the failures. Either precedes or corresponds the problem.

In your situation there may have been some events logged just after boot/startup.

The logs could be of use and are worth at least a quick look over. Keep copies for future use and compare to logs created when the computer is working as it should be. If the problem reoccurs then the changes or differences between the working and non-working logs could reveal a clue.

Error 1804 appears to involve an unauthorized WLAN card - not that is necessarily the case. It is just that Windows believes (believed) that to be the case. Likely some file corruption and startup/boot faltered accordingly.

Plus I also noted that meaningful websites involved laptops with the 1804 code. There were also quite a number of those sites that pop up no matter what error message is being researched. Those sites usually want you to download some "we can fix anything" app. Avoid.

Or, as I discovered, a number of other websites that appeared too risky looking to even click.