[SOLVED] PC doesn’t boot after installing i5 4460

Solution
Firstly, list your system specs(motherboard, gpu, ram,psu).

If the 4160 works, you most likely don't need a BIOS update for the 4460 as these CPUs were released around the same time.

Some of those contact pads on that i5 4460 look filled with thermal paste residue. Try cleaning the contacts on your CPU with isopropyl alcohol. Clean thoroughly and let it dry for 30 minutes, then try it again.

If the 4160 works, you most likely don't need a BIOS update for the 4460 as these CPUs were released around the same time.

Some of those contact pads on that i5 4460 look filled with thermal paste residue. Try cleaning the contacts on your CPU with isopropyl alcohol. Clean thoroughly and let it dry for 30 minutes, then try it again.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey guys!

So I installed an i5-4460 today and now my pc doesn't boot, no BIOS or anything, my monitor just says 'no signal'. When I put my old i3 4160 back in it works though.

I took out the battery for 5 minutes but it did not help.

i5 4460 video:
View: https://youtu.be/EuIkKcjpJOg

i3 4160:
View: https://youtu.be/M3afAk6EJaU

Is it a dead CPU? What should I do?

What motherboard, and most importantly what Bios version ? Same Bios version needed for these CPUs ?

XSR

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012

I was cleaning the contacts but it didn’t help.

MOBO: GA-H81M-S2PV
GPU: inno3d GTX 1060 6GB

I was installing an i5 4570 instead of the 4460 and now PC is working fine. I think that’s mean that the 4460 is a dead CPU...

Should I throw it in the trash?