PC Doesnt boot after CPU upgrade

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Okay so I had a AMD Phenom X4 955 BE and today I bought a FX8350 and put it on correctly everythings in order my mobo is a Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 with the newest bios so it supports the 8350 and when I set up everything turned on the computer and the GPU Fans spin and stop but its not the gpu since I tested it on my other PC then I tried RAM still didnt boot finally I reset the CMOS still no post I changed back to my old CPU and it didnt boot too(its a pain to change back and forth my cpus since my cooler is hard to install but everything went smooth) and yet still no post im leaning on a dead mobo but I really dont have money for a new one no HDD light when pc starts no monitor gpu fans spin and stop spin and stop someone experienced this before ?

Breadboard your system, while reinstalling the cooler you might have moved the mobo making it to do contact with the case causing a shorting issue.

Test your mobo out of the case on a cardboard box like your mobo's box with only CPU, 1 stick of ram and the GPU, see if you get to BIOS this way.

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Didnt work nothing even makes sound im sure it should beep but it never beeped and theres no light on the mobo like on my other ones same fan spinning I think the mobo is gone

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
When you took the cooler out, did you by chance unplug the aux power connection or smack the ram sticks? Might need to reseat both.
Lastly, hate amd sockets for this, pull out the 8350 and use reading glasses if you must, but inspect the bottom of the cpu for any bent pins. It's a major failing in AMD's design, happens frequently. Hopefully there are none, and you didn't accidentally fry the cpu, or short out something in the socket/mobo

Let us pray power was completely removed (60 Hz plug removed is a safe bet)/switched completely off (classic 1/0 switch, although many PSUs are stupidly skipping this feature these days...) to eliminate the trickle power always present in mainboards during the actual cpu swap?

Disconnect everything, remove GPU, drop down to one stick of RAM in required slot...and let's hope!

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

I may have fried something honestly but it isnt the cpu since i took my old Phenom and it didnt want to boot too but the mobo is a goner i believe it doesnt work with anything different RAM CPU or GPU i changed every one of those i happend to drop the screwdriver while putting my cooler on honestly may have hit a component on the mobo and my cooler has clearance for the ram its a CM Hyper 412S so i guess i did short something on the mobo and its toast i had the mobo for the past 6 months and nothing happend to it since now so i guess its gone for good (no warranty since it was from a friend as a gift)

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I Did all ot that on my mobo box and nothing happend literally only the fans spun and the GPU fans stop spinning after like 4 seconds and start again then stop then start it may be PSU based but a corsair rm750 shouldnt fry that easy its overkill for this setup but i was planning on overclocking the 8350 but i guess my hopes are now gone until i get a new mobo since im sure there isnt any sign of life in this one

Problem is, when system is hard cycling like that, it still could be the PSU. (In fact, the instant you assume it must be the mainboard, it *will* be the PSU! :) (In any case, the PSU is easiest to swap, or, you can test your current PSU in another rig...)

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I Hope its a PSU since they are cheaper than a mobo ill try first thing in the morning its 5AM and ive been fighthing with this since 6 in the evening no luck i guess its either Mobo or PSU but another thing is the HDD isnt even doing anything i guess its supposed to be like that since it cant boot me in windows

Fros78

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

Never mind i hooked up a speaker to my motherboard since i realized i didnt have one and it was 4 beeps i read that its a motherboard malfunction so i guess it was the mobo after all
I Ordered an ASRock 990FX Fatal1ty Killer motherboard it should arrive tomorrow and ill update the post if it works fine with the CPU