Hi!
I have a pc from 2017:
Asus B350 strix
Ryzen 7 1700
16 gb (2x8) Hyperx fury 3200MHz
850 evo 500 SSD
Zotac GTX 1060
Corsarir HX750i

My system worked perfectly for the first 2 years, but last year it started to have problems to boot in the cold mornings or nights, I can only get it to boot if a warm it up with a hair dryer or with the sun in a window. To avoid this I started to leave the PC in sleep mode, for several months I don't have problems with this, the system started again without problems, but few weeks ago, that method stopped working, if I leave it in sleep mode it doesnt start and I have to warm it up again. If I get it to boot the system doesn't have any problems running, no restarts, no crashes but is a nonsense having to warm up a pc to boot even if the system is in sleep mode.

Reactions: mudcamper

Hector_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
My first thought is the power supply.
When you go to start it when it's cold and you press the power button does the power supply come on?
I can't verify the activity of the psu when the system is off or failing to start because its fan doesnt turn on until certain load, but the motherboard have a standby power LED that is always on when the psu is connected

Hector_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Do you get MB activity when you press the button? Does the GPU light up (if it has a light)? Do the case fans come on?
No, nothing happens, no fans, no gpu light, no more motherboard lights aside for the standby power led that is always on, only boots if I warm the motherboard, when it happens all start without problems, fans, lights, gpu and cpu fan, and gets to windows. Also I have a nzxt s340 case, the psu is in under a shroud so, I dont know if the heat reach it when I use the hair dryer or the sun in the window.

No, nothing happens, no fans, no gpu light, no more motherboard lights aside for the standby power led that is always on, only boots if I warm the motherboard, when it happens all start without problems, fans, lights, gpu and cpu fan, and gets to windows. Also I have a nzxt s340 case, the psu is in under a shroud so, I dont know if the heat reach it when I use the hair dryer or the sun in the window.
I speculate that it is the PSU cables that you are heating. Sometimes cheap PSUs come with cables that are not so great. I would buy a quality PSU from a local electronics store to test. If your computer works as is should keep the new PSU, if the computer has the same issues return the new PSU and post back.

Hector_1

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
Then I might try this.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1dcJ0QyAE

If the PSU starts when you do this...I would suspect the motherboard or the power switch. If it doesn't I would suspect the power supply.
I tried this and the psu worked, also I test it with another motherboard and it start whitout problems (in the same wheather / conditions), so I replace de motherboard, later I read that the reason of that behavior are mosfets or another chip, like the ite or nuvoton, even the chipset itself in short circuit, it can be verified with a voltmeter, sadly I dont have one to verify by myself that.

Last edited:
Reactions: helper800
I tried this and the psu worked, also I test it with another motherboard and it start whitout problems (in the same wheather / conditions), so I replace de motherboard, later I read that the reason of that behavior are mosfets or another chip, like the ite or nuvoton, even the chipset itself in short circuit, it can be verified with a voltmeter, sadly I dont have one to verify by myself that.
Good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.