Question Pc doesn't boot up at the first go, also crackling noises from possibly the psu

Sep 19, 2021
My pc doesnt boot up at the first go, i need to close it down by holding down the power button after so that it boots up, when it doesnt boot up, the keyboard's lights go dark and it's basically frozen on from there, also for some reason, there are crackling noises coming inside from the pc(possibly the PSU) that increase in frequency the more I use the pc, these crackling noises are a bit like how the fire crackles when it burns, but less silent and more electric-y. I am unable to record it as nither my phone or my mic can record it, but it kind of sounds like this: https://streamable.com/dkkfi

edit: the model of my pc is from the hp website is HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2032nt Bundle PC (https://ssl.www8.hp.com/tr/tr/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=2100744165#!tab=features) but the systeminfo from cmd says HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx, i bought this computer without the graphics card, and the power supply's specs, as they say are;

part number: L81009-800
part description: GNRC PSU 500W WS20 FR GOLD (altough the website says that it's a 500W bronze)

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
My pc doesnt boot up at the first go, i need to close it down by holding down the power button after so that it boots up, when it doesnt boot up, the keyboard's lights go dark and it's basically frozen on from there, also for some reason, there are crackling noises coming inside from the pc(possibly the PSU) that increase in frequency the more I use the pc, these crackling noises are a bit like how the fire crackles when it burns, but less silent and more electric-y. I am unable to record it as nither my phone or my mic can record it, but it kind of sounds like this: https://streamable.com/dkkfi

edit: the model of my pc is from the hp website is HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2032nt Bundle PC (https://ssl.www8.hp.com/tr/tr/products/desktops/product-detail.html?oid=2100744165#!tab=features) but the systeminfo from cmd says HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-2xxx, i bought this computer without the graphics card, and the power supply's specs, as they say are;

part number: L81009-800
part description: GNRC PSU 500W WS20 FR GOLD (altough the website says that it's a 500W bronze)

i would immediately shut down the pc if you believe there is a psu failure. if the psu is going each time you attempt to use the pc you could be causing damage to the circuitry. first steps i would do is replace the psu if you believe that is the culprit.

have you changed anything in the system? added a video card? if you are exceeding the limits of the psu, you can make it stress and blow up, typically frying the entire pc..

an electrical "crackling" sound is never good.

start with a psu replacement and get back to us, while you have the pc open and swapping the psu, check the circuits for swollen or "popped" capacitors. if you have any capacitors that are swollen or popped, youve already damaged your computer.

bad-and-good-capacitors.jpg

FLj6n.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021
i would immediately shut down the pc if you believe there is a psu failure. if the psu is going each time you attempt to use the pc you could be causing damage to the circuitry. first steps i would do is replace the psu if you believe that is the culprit.

have you changed anything in the system? added a video card? if you are exceeding the limits of the psu, you can make it stress and blow up, typically frying the entire pc..

an electrical "crackling" sound is never good.

start with a psu replacement and get back to us, while you have the pc open and swapping the psu, check the circuits for swollen or "popped" capacitors. if you have any capacitors that are swollen or popped, youve already damaged your computer.

bad-and-good-capacitors.jpg

FLj6n.jpg
nope, I just used the psu like normal, guess I'm just too unlucky, also the noise has been around ever since I bought the pc (about 6 months ago) and that doesn't boot up thing has been around for like 1-2

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
nope, I just used the psu like normal, guess I'm just too unlucky, also the noise has been around ever since I bought the pc (about 6 months ago) and that doesn't boot up thing has been around for like 1-2
did you buy this pc new or used?

if you purchased this used, i think you got scammed, previous owner taking the vid card, and swapping the psu for their main rig.

if you purchased this new, you should still have warranty, id take advantage of that.

Sep 19, 2021
did you buy this pc new or used?

if you purchased this used, i think you got scammed, previous owner taking the vid card, and swapping the psu for their main rig.

if you purchased this new, you should still have warranty, id take advantage of that.

a hybrid of both, the seller just took the gpu, and just sold it to me, i specifically bought it without the GPU, I asked if the warranty covers systems without the gpu (hp) and they said yeah its fine just take a note of that in the receipt (dude literally just signed his receipt from the website stating that the gpu had been sold without the gpu) I dont really trust the hp warranty service, that's the bad part, but I think I will need to hand it over to the warranty it sometime soon.. (the system was newlybought without any kind of usage when he sold it to me)

mc_spaceman

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
a hybrid of both, the seller just took the gpu, and just sold it to me, i specifically bought it without the GPU, I asked if the warranty covers systems without the gpu (hp) and they said yeah its fine just take a note of that in the receipt (dude literally just signed his receipt from the website stating that the gpu had been sold without the gpu) I dont really trust the hp warranty service, that's the bad part, but I think I will need to hand it over to the warranty it sometime soon.. (the system was newlybought without any kind of usage when he sold it to me)

yeah i dont know if id trust their word on that. i think they had a failing power supply and swapped that out as well.. HP is typically pretty solid when it comes to their cookie cutter computers. they do not swap parts unless it was paid for and noted on the receipt. ie; the power supply change. they wouldnt just swap the psu and sell it without the model description being updated. just saying...