PC doesn't boot up first time, CPU LED stays on. Second/third time booting up it all works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joea9

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
I have an issue with a new PC that I've had custom built.

Specs are:
Asus x87-a motherboard
4670k CPU + Corsair h80i cooler
GTX 770 GPU
8gb RAM
Corsair 850TX PSU

When I turn the PC on first thing in the morning, power comes on, fans spin up, and then it just stops, I never get a display. At this point THE CPU LED on the motherboard is lit and stays lit.

If I then power off the computer and turn it back on, it boots up normally and there are no further issues. Occasionally it won't boot up correctly until the second time I turn it off/on, and again, there are no further issues.

If I shut down the computer and turn it back on again, there is no issue booting back up first time.
If I shut down the computer and leave it off for 45 minutes there are also no problems booting it back up first time.
So far the problem only occurs when I leave it off overnight and then turn it on in the morning.

I have no idea what the difference is between turning off for 45 minutes and turning it off all night.

I have been through this thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
But most of it doesn't seem to apply to me, since everything works fine aside from that first boot in the morning. (I checked it all anyway though).

In any case, the fact that it works fine after that first boot suggests that my problem may not be so serious. I just need to figure out what the problem is.

Can anyone help?

EDIT -
Just to clarify, the CPU LED is lit only during the first failed boot. Everything behaves normally once I've rebooted it, ie CPU LED only flashes on briefly before continuing a normal boot process.

mistral

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011

It could be the motherboard is not always getting the correct power good signal from the PSU, when you power on the PSU sends a signal to the board to say everything is at spec, voltages etc, if the signal received by the board is not correct then the board constantly resets the CPU to prevent any possibilty of damage to components. If possible try a different power supply to check. I guess you are going to say the PSU is new but that doesn't mean anything it can still be faulty.

Lloyd Powell

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Wow, I have almost the same setup and am having exactly the same problem.

LG Blu-ray Burner
1.4GB Seagate Drive
ASUS GRYPHON Z87
Intel i5-4440
8G Single 1600 Kingston RAM
Windows 7
Corsair CX430 V3

An ASUS/Intel/Corsair combination and same problem? Can't be a coincidence! Would LOVE to know what the solution was for you.

Everlast00

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hi Joea9, I have exactly the same problem.

This is my thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1919261/dvi-signal-period-time.html

I didnt get any response, so I just thought wth, I'm going back to the store and command a new one. I got a new GA-z87x-UD4H motherboard, but it did the same thing. My PC just didn't boot right. So, okay, another thought: let me just buy a new MoBo. So I bought the Asus x87-Pro board. And I still have the same problem.

I'm confident it is NOT about your motherboard. It has to be something else. What we all have in common here, is the intell proc and possibly the Ram (I use some old 1600 kingston ram, 6gb).

Have you gotten any further yet?

parhamsan

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Hey,
I have the exact same problem but the only thing we have in common is the ASUS MB

SPEC:
MB: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE latest bios (2104)
MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) I have a total of 32GB (4 modules) (F3-14900CL10D-16GBXL 10-11-10-30-2N)
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W
GPU: 2XGTX 780Ti SLI
CPU: stock

Now here is what happens:
If I turn the computer on in the morning (7 to 8 hrs after the last shut-down) the computer turns on for 1-2 sec, fans and lights on the MB turn on and the computer then shuts down.
If I press the power bottom immediately it wont turn on.

Here I only have 2 options:
1- I have to wait and press the power after 10 to 20 sec and it turns on and boots normally
2- I have to unplug the power cord wait for a couple of sec and then turn on and boots normally.

Once the computer boots up i can normally shut down and power up without the issue. The problem happens only at cold boot; if the computer is off for 30 to 1hr i can normally power on. I kind of find this pretty bizarre if there is a problem with any PSU or CPU.

At the beginning I thought it might be the problem with my memory:
tested the ram with memtest86 one by one and no problem.
Went back to the stock frequency for both ram and CPU (No overclocking) same thing happens.

Cleared the cmos and same thing happens.

At this point its either my MB or PSU or a setting in the BIOS which i cant figure out.

Some people say that this is normal but heck its annoying to me.
Just wanted to see if anyone has solved the issue.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I've got the same problem. The first time I turn the computer on in the morning, all the lights turn on and all the fans turn on but the video never displays. If I turn it off and then turn it back on, everything is fine. It brings up the Windows didn't start right screen and asks me how I want to start windows (safe mode, normal mode, etc.) I used to have the problem a while back and I replaced the power supply. It has recently started again.

Specs are:
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
Corsair (4x4GB) CML16GX3M4A1600C9
Intel i7-3770K
Windows 7 Ultimate
Kingston ssdnow300v 240GB
Corsair CS650M 650W PSU
Zalman CNPS10X cpu cooler
XFX Radeon 7870

I have fixed computers for over 10 years, but can't seem to fix my own problem. I recently updated all of the drivers to fix my first BSOD ever in Windows 7. That didn't help this problem though. Only thing I can think of that I didn't update is the BIOS. I didn't want to flash that until the one on the gigabyte website is not in beta status anymore.

Edit: As this appears to be a graphics issue, knowing that I have 2 monitors attached might be helpful. I have an Asus VH238 attached by HDMI, and a Dell 19" 0PVGRC attached by DVI.

Clickz

Reputable
Jul 19, 2014
I am experiencing the same exact problem but my PC is running 970a G43 with a FX-6300 and GTX 750Ti, the psu is the same just the semi modular version
UPDATE : MY PC NOW BOOTS EVERY TIME, IT HAS DONE THIS SINCE A WINDOWS UPDATE WAS INSTALLED

D

Deleted member 492512

I just had this problem start appearing on my PC as well. Been building PCs since 2007 and never seen it before.

Closest thing that has ever happened is failing to start first time after messing bios/RAM settings but after the second start that problem never reappears from experience.

Strange thing is my current PC is about 4-5 months old, and I've had Windows 10 for just over 3 weeks. This strange repeated problem started happening about a week and a half ago and I haven't even gone into the BIOS, nor have I made changes. I disassembled build and made sure all cables are plugged in properly. Also tightened the Mobo standoffs since they had loosened up a bit. No change. When PC goes to sleep it shuts off and I have to start again from power button. Cold boots always turns off first time and starts fine on second.

Using i5-4590 and Asrock H97 ITX mobo. Its not from them. I suspect it may be my Corsair 450W 80+ Gold PSU since it was uber cheap (like $30 after rebate), or last case a Windows 10 issue with my particular PC. Hopefully its a simple fix, I'm using my PC every day and it works but this is annoying and disconcerting.

parhamsan

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Well, as someone who experienced this and fixed it this was my experience:

I ended up RMAing my PSU and selling my G.SKILL Ripjaws rams. Before i figure out it was my ram I used a cheap 500W corsair power supply to test my system for the same issue, and I realized it happened with a different power supply.
At this point it was either the settings in my bios (RAM timings and etc) or the RAM itself. I ended up changing my 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 1866MHz with Corsair 16GB 1600MHz and problem got fixed.

Although my MB supported the 32GB ram upto 2400MHz it was giving me issues with having 4 sticks (32GB in total). I even tried updating the bios and do a bios reset but same thing happened with 32GB. Changed the ram and all nightmares were gone.

I know it is a really lenghty process but you gotta be patient about diagnosing the root of the problem.

Start with BIOS (Make sure your CPU or RAM is not overclocked), then PSU, and then RAM. In my case OS was not causing the issue.

Good luck.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008

I still have all the same parts in my computer except for the RAM that I posted above a year and a half ago. Problem has disappeared and I didn't even realize it. I just made sure to never turn off or let my computer go to sleep. I turned off my computer and went on vacation for a week and said I would deal with it when I got back. When I got back computer turned on first time.

I would have to agree that the RAM was causing the problem.

Faiz__Shaikh

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
when i turn on my computer it doesn't boot for first time and it boots normally second time and works fine.
I faced this situation When i shut down or put sleep my desktop computer, later while i turn-on it or wake-up after a some time or next day.
i faced this kind of problem when i install a new (second) Hard drive.
Actually what is happening in my case? , when i installed secondary HDD, my CPU BIOS fails to recognize Boot or (os) hard drive.
i think it's (CPU) confusing in selecting boot (os) hard disk drive while i turn-on computer for first time then it goes turn-off, later or second time when i on CPU it automatically detected boot hard drive and it works fine.
i hope we no more face this kind of problem if we give boot priorities to this hard disk drives.
when i installed new secondary HDD my CPU recognized it as Primary HDD (Here it's the main problem), but i already had Old Hard disk as Primary Hard disk and it has different partitions all are logical partitions except os or boot partition drive which is primary and boot partition , CPU is confusing in selecting boot hard drive between two primary Hard Disks, that's why my pc doesn't boot for first time.
in order to solve this problem we just need to change secondary hard disk from primary drive to logical Drive using EaseUS
Partition Master software. Download here (free)----http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html
after installing Ease US Partition Master Software, open it then click on Launch Application, now select the Hard disk or partition which you want to convert it from primary to logic drive, after selecting right click on drive or partition which you want to convert then select the convert to logical option from drop down list. now select apply option in top menu.

Chaot007

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Hi guys, I have the same situation. I have a laptop - HP DV7. I never have this problem until I upgrade to Windows 10 with NO hardware changed. My laptop was originally installed with Windows Vista (32 bits) and then I upgraded the OS to Windows 7 Professional (64 bits). I don't have such issue. However, the issue just happened after upgraded to Windows 10 (64 bits). I am not sure this is because of memory issue with only 2GB all the time. Are there any thoughts ?

aerys

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
I have the same problem, but is it possible that the power SW pin is doing all the bad work? I tried all solution that I can think.
reseated all my parts and switched the rams. still the problem exists

Stephen_104

Commendable
Sep 20, 2016

Try disabling Fast Startup in the Control Panel - Power Options.

Gray_1

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Hi, I just found a solution that worked for me as i've been trying to work out this problem for a good month.

Try unplugging all usb devices and restarting, this worked for me. Don't ask me why.

PRK2529

Reputable
Oct 27, 2016
i had a same issue with my new pc

mother board:Asus Z170 gaming pro
processor: i5 6600k
ram: ddr 4 8gb ram
ssd:120gb
psu: 550vs

i faced this issue after i install old graphic card nvida geforce 8500gt but display was coming after 2nd boot..... games was running perfectly.
after i removed graphic card. reset bios. 2nd boot problem stopped.. now my pc is running in 1st boot when ever i click power switch on...

regards
prk2529@gmail.com

PRK2529

Reputable
Oct 27, 2016
Hi guys,

Try this got to (Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options) submenu left hand side select (choose what the power button do)

in shutdown setting (uncheck turn on fast startup option).

hope so this will solve the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.