Question PC Doesn't Boot When XMP Is Enabled... Help?

FormidableRed

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
Hello,

So my current rig is pretty old:
AMD FX-6300
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
970A-DS3P
GTX 1060 3GB

I recently only had 8GB RAM, so upgraded to 16GB, but when I enable XMP to rum the RAM at it's full potential, the system doesn't boot.. But without XMP, it boots and works perfectly? Am I missing something, is there a reason it's doing this and how am I able to fix it?

Only have the one thought, so others will chime in afterwards.

How did you upgrade to this 16GB of RAM? Did you just buy another 8GB stick and install, or buy a 16GB RAM kit and replaced entirely?

If it's just adding another stick of 8GB of RAM and trying to use XMP, it might not apply to the stick you already had. Many advise against mixing and matching RAM.

FormidableRed

Honorable
Dec 21, 2014
Only have the one thought, so others will chime in afterwards.

How did you upgrade to this 16GB of RAM? Did you just buy another 8GB stick and install, or buy a 16GB RAM kit and replaced entirely?

If it's just adding another stick of 8GB of RAM and trying to use XMP, it might not apply to the stick you already had. Many advise against mixing and matching RAM.

Yeah, I had 2 4GB sticks, and I bought 2 more (same make/model etc)

But the 2 old sticks alone worked when I tried XMP..

The most likely issue is the mixing of two RAM kits. Some do mention that even if it's the same model there's no guarantee there won't be issues; so the advice is to replace the RAM entirely with what you intend to use.

You could test further (if inclined to) by only having one RAM kit installed and see if XMP will run without issue; then remove and replace with the other and check again.