Question PC doesn't go to sleep, need to reboot PSU to get it working again

Rade155

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
I had this problem for what seems like years. It happens randomly. It can happen few days in a row or once every 2-3 weeks. I have Windows 10.

I never shut off my PC, only put it to sleep every night. The problem is that sometimes just as the tower is powering down, it immediately turns back on. The lights, the fans, everything shows as it is working. But the monitors are off. The keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, they do not wake it back up. Restart button, holding down on the power button, they do nothing. Only way to get the PC back up is to turn off and on the PSU. I reinstalled Windows recently and this is still happening.

It's not the end of the world, it is just annoying when it happens. And since it is such a specific, weird problem, I'm wondering what could be causing it and what could I do about it?

Haswell introduced C6 and C7 sleep states which many older power supplies were incompatible with, hence "Haswell Ready" PSUs. Could be as simple a fix as lowering the sleep state level in the BIOS.

Also, some older drivers intended for XP to Vista in particular seem to not allow Windows 10 to sleep or wake properly, and the workaround there is usually simply to disable sleep/hybrid sleep and use only hibernation.

I had this problem for what seems like years. It happens randomly. It can happen few days in a row or once every 2-3 weeks. I have Windows 10.

I never shut off my PC, only put it to sleep every night. The problem is that sometimes just as the tower is powering down, it immediately turns back on. The lights, the fans, everything shows as it is working. But the monitors are off. The keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, they do not wake it back up. Restart button, holding down on the power button, they do nothing. Only way to get the PC back up is to turn off and on the PSU. I reinstalled Windows recently and this is still happening.

It's not the end of the world, it is just annoying when it happens. And since it is such a specific, weird problem, I'm wondering what could be causing it and what could I do about it?
We all run our machines different.

Is there some reason why you don't shutdown at night?

Rade155

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2014
Which psu and motherboard are you using?
My system specs are:
AMD 5600X
EVGA 3070
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 2x16GB
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P

Haswell introduced C6 and C7 sleep states which many older power supplies were incompatible with, hence "Haswell Ready" PSUs. Could be as simple a fix as lowering the sleep state level in the BIOS.

Also, some older drivers intended for XP to Vista in particular seem to not allow Windows 10 to sleep or wake properly, and the workaround there is usually simply to disable sleep/hybrid sleep and use only hibernation.

Not sure if this applies to me since I have an AMD processor and the sleep works as itended 9 times out of 10.

We all run our machines different.

Is there some reason why you don't shutdown at night?
Just a habit I suppose, nice to have it back on within 2 sec. But yeah, that would really be the ultimate fix and solution. Just curios if anyone will know the reason/solution behind this weird issue.

My system specs are:
AMD 5600X
EVGA 3070
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 2x16GB
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W
Gigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P

Not sure if this applies to me since I have an AMD processor and the sleep works as itended 9 times out of 10.

Just a habit I suppose, nice to have it back on within 2 sec. But yeah, that would really be the ultimate fix and solution. Just curios if anyone will know the reason/solution behind this weird issue.
As far as speed goes with ssd's being the norm 10 secs or less from power on to the desktop did not seem like much of a problem to me.

Your call.