PC doesnt like me

filip.romdala

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
So I bought a new gpu ( GeForce gtx 1070) and a 2 TB HDD.
Installing the gpu went ok but the pc wouldnt start with the HDD connected so I assumed the psu couldnt handle it with the 2 HDD's and 1 SSD I already had plugged in.

I took out one of the two identical HDD's and swapped it for the new one, but then the screens wouldnt get a signal from the gpu, so I swapped the new gpu for my older one but the problem remained.

I removed all Hard drives leaving Only the SSD But then it wouldnt start, Only the CPU fan would twitch the slightest and there would come a tick from the psu and then shut of. To make sure it was nothing else causing the problem i stripped the PC of everything one at a time while trying to start it but with nothing changing. With only the PSU, CPU and MOBO connected and the case button to turn it on tve same thing happens. I am out of ideas of what to do and starting to contemplate wheather to buy a new PSU or MOBO.

Anyone got helpful tips?

Solution

So it is either motherboard or CPU that is not working. Or both. Since you can't find out which one of those is faulty without spare components, best move now is to find a comp shop that can test them for you.
G

Hi,

Filip can I know the list of all components before coming to some logical conclusion?

What make is ur power supply unit and how many watts?
What make is ur motherboard and which version?

Thank you,
Ishaan

G

Hi filip,

850 watts is more than enough to handle a gtx 1070 and 2tb hdd and 1ssd.

I think cables of psu aren't corrected properly to their respective places. You need to re-check with cabling.

Also go through this troubleshoot.https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1029953

Remove ur gpu and connect cable directly to motherboard and check if windows boots up.Try to use inbuilt dvi or hdmi or vga slot in motherboard before connecting gpu.

Reset your RAM's also.Remove 1 stick,try to run on 2nd stick and then put stick 1 and remove stick 2.If u got 2 sticks of DDR3 RAM.

Probably there is problem with ur powersupply unit or your motherboard.

I hope this solves your problem.

filip.romdala

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
So I got a new PSU and this made the PC start but now it wont display anything, be it connected to the GPU or motherboard. Can it be that the motherboard can cause something like this to happen?

So it does look like not only PSU got damaged. At this point I start to believe you had to connect some cables incorrectly when you were installing your GPU and drives. If this caused short, it could damage any number of components.
Right now, your next step should be to remove GPU and connect monitor to motherboard, remove all drives and try booting in this setup.

Oh, and btw, I hope you did changed PSU cables to ones that come with new PSU (if it is different model then your previous one).

So it is either motherboard or CPU that is not working. Or both. Since you can't find out which one of those is faulty without spare components, best move now is to find a comp shop that can test them for you.

Solution