Question PC doesn't notice external optical drive

brom2855

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
Cocopa external optical drive. Got it off Amazon when bought my current gaming PC from younger brother (he didn't include optical drive). It's got power, no problems there when plug it in.

However, it isn't working as intended. This optical drive simply never appears in Window Explorer. Took a leaf from my A+ studies and found it in Device Manager--oddly, it's recognized as a "mass storage device" and even though drivers are up-to-date. It's plugged into my USB 3.0 slot. Completely at a loss here, there's no way to play any CD or DVD inserted into it.

Any help's appreciated.

Try giving it a drive letter in disk management. Another issue is that it could be a hardware problem, that's usually the case when a disc reader shows this. Also try manually getting the drivers for this drive and manually installing it via device manager > update drivers > search locally for update... .

brom2855

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
Try giving it a drive letter in disk management. Another issue is that it could be a hardware problem, that's usually the case when a disc reader shows this. Also try manually getting the drivers for this drive and manually installing it via device manager > update drivers > search locally for update... .
Disk management doesn't even see it. Again, I already tried latest drivers via auto-download, no dice. So where are the drivers exactly? Cocopa doesn't have an official website, so manual install option's blocked. Duckduckgo searches only turned up the external hard drives' shopping results or promotions for driver-update software that costs $$.

How many USB devices are connected to your computer?

Have you tried using the optical drive by using an independently powered USB hub connected to your computer?

Have you tried the optical drive on another computer?
A USB flash drive and 2 external hard drives. None have issues.

Already tried that. Doesn't work.

My other PCs don't notice the external optical drive. Really stupid, thought my Windows 8.1 laptop would notice it.

I'm pretty much out of patience with this. Learned apparently Windows 10 isn't designed to be compatible w/ this type of device, lot of other users reported same or similar issues. Looks like it's Microsoft's fault that got this issue. Maybe I should just trash the optical device? Paid $25 for it and nope, not even properly shaped to be an expensive bookmark!

brom2855

Reputable
Apr 12, 2018
One possible fix:

Go to "folder options". (file explorer options).
Select "View".
Look for "Hide Empty Drives". Make sure this is unselected
No effect.

I will add, it looks this optical drive presents itself as a USB G: drive, but it refuses any access. "G:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O error."

Not sure if any info from its Properties window will help, but here:
General tab lists all both free and used space at 0 bytes. It recognizes the USB, but says "file system: unknown"
Sharing seems the oddity--this G drive isn't shared. I turned on the sharing and it goes into a "not responding" crap.