[SOLVED] PC DOESNT POST AT HOME BUT WORKS FRIEND'S AND REPAIR SHOP

Dec 15, 2020
PC specs:
- ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Motherboard
-Corsair 850W RM850 Gold Power Supply
-EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition Gaming, 11GB
-G.Skill F4-3200C16D-32GTZR Trident Z RGB 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
-Intel Core i7 9700K
PC boots past BIOS screen but with integrated graphics rather than GPU (GPU doesn't detect but is on, and fans are at full speed consistently, no RGB).
Took the GPU in for a check-up at a shop (where I bought the parts) and it was working fine on their test bench:
"Thanks for reaching out to us regarding your graphics card. We have tested it and it seems to be working and detecting fine. It seems that whatever that is causing your issues lies elsewhere. As this is tested as non faulty, we would like to return it to you. I would suggest to try the card on another system or another PCIe slot and perhaps another PSU as well. Please also check if there is any misaligned or bent CPU pins or that the CPU contact pads are not worn. "
After that I plugged the GPU back in at home and it was working fine until the next day. After that I tested it at my mate's house and the GPU worked as normal, then when i brought it back home to my PC it worked for one day then went back to not detecting in VGA slot the next day.

Decided to take the PC in for a diagnostic at the shop and they came back with "I have had your system on the bench to test and haven't been able to replicate any issues of 'GPU not detecting/displaying'. Also no signs of Fans ramping to 100% either. We run Superposition for several days and Shadow of the Tomb Raider all day with no crashes or anything. Checked your CPU and RAM with benchmarks and all clear. System looks very stable atm so I'm happy to say I think shes OK. " and "Left some heavy stress tests running last night as precaution for 18hrs straight and still no issues at all. Safe to say I think your system is fine and ready for collection as I can't find any faults. "
Picked up the PC plugged it back in and it worked for a day then the same issue of GPU not detecting and fans spinning fast. Also once again went to my friend's house this time with my whole PC rather than jut GPU. Powered the PC on and everything worked and ran perfectly. Tried every outlet in my friend's house and the PC continued to work without fault. Took the PC home, powered on and everything worked perfectly but only for 13 hours and it was back to old ways, GPU not being detected, GPU RGB off, fans max speed, display switched to IGPU.

Tried every outlet in my house, turning power from switchboard on and off, swapping PSU out. I also tried putting my old GPU (msi gtx 970) in current pc and it worked perfectly, however I put the 2080ti in my old PC and it still did the same (full speed fans, boot with IGPU, no RGB). Tried searching for this problem on the web but couldn't one with the exact same problem as me.

Here is a video showing the problem :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4OFbGhFrYA&feature=youtu.be
(Once again the GPU powers on and isn't detected by the motherboard and switches to IGPU.
One more thing I am going to try is to bring my friend's PC to my house to test.
To conclude, I think it may be the power in my house however I am not entirely sure and would much appreciate some help :D

EDIT:
PC is a year old if that helps

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
At your house is the computer being directly plugged into a wall outlet?

Or is the electrical connection through some surge protector, a power bar/strip, UPS, or even an extension cord?

Do other computers (if any) in your house have problems?

Do the house lights flicker and dim when appliances and even lights are turned on or off. Does your area have a history of power outages, brownouts, etc..?

Dec 15, 2020
I would check the outlets (or have them checked by someone that knows how).
It may be you are lacking a ground.
Another thing you can try.....run a wire from your case to a KNOWN GROUND.
See if the problem goes away.
Have an electrician coming in the next few days so I will get back to you on that.

Dec 15, 2020
At your house is the computer being directly plugged into a wall outlet?

Or is the electrical connection through some surge protector, a power bar/strip, UPS, or even an extension cord?

Do other computers (if any) in your house have problems?

Do the house lights flicker and dim when appliances and even lights are turned on or off. Does your area have a history of power outages, brownouts, etc..?
  1. My computer is usually connected through a powerbar. I have tried every outlet directly.
  2. My other computer has the same problem with the 2080ti.
3.No my lights do not flicker and my area does not have a history of power outages.