Question Pc doesnt power on unless power supply switch is flipped

Jul 16, 2019
Ok, this may sound weird but my PC has an issue with power and I think its somehow connected to the wiring in my house. So every time I turn on my PC the fans go full blast nothing appears on the screen and it just sits. When I flick the power supply switch on and off it works fine, no issue (although every time I open a game it crashes until I open it the second time but that's an issue for another day). The weird thing is I brought this pc to a friends house for a LAN type event and it worked fine! Could it be that my 1800's house and old wiring isn't supplying enough power? But why would it work the second time? It also doesn't happen if the pc was just on like 30 minutes ago it's very strange and has stumbled me for over a few months.

P.S. I've changed the power cord and tried plugging it in directly to the wall.

PC SPECS:
RTX 2080
I7 9700k
16gb Ram
CORSAIR CX 650 watt PSU

Jul 16, 2019
NO, you need a better quality unit than that.

All those parts and you cheap out on the PSU?

The PSU is the most important part of the PC by far.

You need to get the RMX 650W really.
I'll look into but I am not in the current financial situation but yeah I'm researching and you're right the reviews must have been paid for or something because everyone on r/buildapc hates it but it's goten like a 9/10 from all the big companies

I'll look into but I am not in the current financial situation but yeah I'm researching and you're right the reviews must have been paid for or something because everyone on r/buildapc hates it but it's goten like a 9/10 from all the big companies

not sure what you mean by big companies but the computers they test on that series would not be big gaming computers .

it would have been better to get a quality gaming PSU and skimp on the CPU and GPU

if a PSU fails it can cause a fire or send a surge through everything damaging all your computer parts

the only thing that is saving your computer right now is the added safety features corsair put in that PSU because if it were any other low quality PSU it would have blown by now

You are running THAT system on a budget PSU?

You really need to rethink what you are doing and get a better quality unit.

The CX is NOT recommended for any sort of gaming system, especially not on like yours.

You're being a bit of an alarmist. At least the CX is LLC w/ DC to DC. That makes it a lot better than a lot of other PSUs on the market.

It's not like it's the Corsair VS.

That said, it is rather hysterical to see a $600+ GTX 2080 powered by a budget PSU. Sort of like seeing a Porsche race car going around the track on a set of four donut spares. Everything's fine until one of those tires pop!

I mean I get that its there CX model but its 80+ certified and is 650 Watt so I feel its safe am I wrong

FWIW: 80 PLUS is not a badge of quality. It's only a badge of efficiency.

What does that even mean? What big companies? Paid for reviews?

People on r/buildapc are parrots. Of those people that hate all over the CX, I bet none of them actually own or have ever even used one.

When you turn on the PC, was the PC in standby prior, or are you one of those guys that switches off the power to the PSU, switches the power on, then turns on the PC (as if turning off power to the PSU is somehow going to save electricity)?

Where are you located and what is your mains voltage?

Are your outlets properly grounded?

Finally....

Define "game crashes". Does that mean, game exits to Windows desktop, Windows BSOD, PC reboots, PC shuts down...... ????? "Crashes" is a very vague term.

Jul 16, 2019
not sure what you mean by big companies but the computers they test on that series would not be big gaming computers .

it would have been better to get a quality gaming PSU and skimp on the CPU and GPU

if a PSU fails it can cause a fire or send a surge through everything damaging all your computer parts

the only thing that is saving your computer right now is the added safety features corsair put in that PSU because if it were any other low quality PSU it would have blown by now
Would it have though I mean I don't think that the problem is the wattage I think for what I'm running 650 is enough its 1 graphics card and a CPU and I know the PSU's can do that and are the most important part but I just got the wrong one because the large review companies made no mention and I figured that since it was above the wattage I needed it was good (until now i realized it was a budget power supply) . But do you think it's below the wattage I need?

You're being a bit of an alarmist. At least the CX is LLC w/ DC to DC. That makes it a lot better than a lot of other PSUs on the market.

It's not like it's the Corsair VS.

That said, it is rather hysterical to see a $600+ GTX 2080 powered by a budget PSU. Sort of like seeing a Porsche race car going around the track on a set of four donut spares. Everything's fine until one of those tires pop!

Exactly. ;)

And you said it better than I could have.

Not an alarmist, just being realistic, never said it would burn down his house. He just picked the wrong unit for his machine. Something we tend to see here way too often.... WAAAY TOO OFTEN.....

Last edited:
Would it have though I mean I don't think that the problem is the wattage I think for what I'm running 650 is enough its 1 graphics card and a CPU and I know the PSU's can do that and are the most important part but I just got the wrong one because the large review companies made no mention and I figured that since it was above the wattage I needed it was good (until now i realized it was a budget power supply) . But do you think it's below the wattage I need?

Not really above the wattage you need, it is right at the wattage you need, realistic wattage you would need for the system. With enough realistic headroom.

You just picked the wrong PSU, that's all, the RMX would be the correct choice for your system.

I still don't know what "big review companies" means.

Any way... 650W is more than enough wattage. And the CX isn't a horrible PSU.

It shouldn't be exhibiting the issues you're seeing and I'm not convinced your problem is the PSU.

So please try to answer my questions:

When you turn on the PC, was the PC in standby prior, or are you one of those guys that switches off the power to the PSU, switches the power on, then turns on the PC (as if turning off power to the PSU is somehow going to save electricity)?

I still don't know what "big review companies" means.

Any way... 650W is more than enough wattage. And the CX isn't a horrible PSU.

It shouldn't be exhibiting the issues you're seeing and I'm not convinced your problem is the PSU.

So please try to answer my questions:

When I flick the power supply switch on and off it works fine, no issue (although every time I open a game it crashes until I open it the second time but that's an issue for another day).

Sounds like the PSU is shutting down on it's own and they have to flip the switch off then on to get it to run.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'm of a similar mind to JG (not that he needs me to support his opinion of course). Get thee an electrician to your house. While I also would have invested in a higher-end PSU with this level of rig, there's nothing actually wrong with a modern Corsair CX.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The Corsair CX 650W is not the best quality in that range and not the worst either. The need to power cycle a PSU to make it work somtimes means a failing PSU (regardless of quality) or problem with electric cuircuitry of the room/outlet. It doesn't necessarily mean it would not handle the load if it was OK.

Your PSU struggles to power up when you try to turn PC on and at that stage it's not under a heavy load and the thing that prevents is from powering on spot on is the fault/issue it has or the problem with AC voltage/current. However the fact that it crashes under load somehow I think would point to the unit being failing/faulty.

Having said that, a 2080 and 9700 can work with a good-quality solid 550W too. Having some head room? Yes it's not bad to get a 650W unit for a system that needs 550W. I personally would get a solid 650W to have the head room.