Hi all,

So I've recently built a PC with some older components I'd kept
Here are the basic specs before I start:

MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming Motherboard
i7-4790k
16GB DDR3 Corsair RAM
Asus GTX 1080
512GB Kingston SSD and a 256GB Kingston SSD

So, this is a completely fresh install of Windows 10 64bit, the SSDs are new too. All the other components are my own used ones
Ever since I built it I've had issues with it not restarting properly but sort of just put up with it for a while, however I plan to sell it so I kinda need to sort it out

Basically, if I restart it like normal through Windows, when it comes back on, there's nothing displaying on my monitors at all and no matter what I try, there's just nothing. I'm not sure if it's even booting into Windows at this point. If I shut it down then turn it back on it's perfectly fine. It's only restarts that cause this issue

I've tried simply unplugging the video cables and plugging them back in again. I've tried turning off and on the monitors, as well as changing sources
I've tried removing the graphics card completely and running off my motherboards DVI port, which works fine, but restarting the PC still gives me the same issue
I've tried reseating the CMOS battery and my RAM as well, but neither helped

I tried to get into safe mode but the PC has to restart after you select that you want to startup with different options. Which then means I can't see the screen afterwards to actually pick safe mode or another option

It feels like a hardware issue and not software but I could be wrong?
Any help would be appreciated, can't really sell it with an issue like this!

Thanks

Zak32

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
Has the motherboard been updated to the last BIOS version (1.C) released?
Well, I can't even see the BIOS screen either. I went into the BIOS when I first built it to make sure everything was set properly, so I don't know why it won't show now... Pretty sure it's going into the BIOS though

Trying to get into it from the Windows recovery options doesn't work either

Feeling a bit tired tonight, so tomorrow I'll try taking out my graphics card again and see if it'll show on the screen when using DVI from the motherboard

Zak32

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
Did you install the latest GPU driver for your Asus?
I did, all drivers are fully up to date and so is Windows

Bit of an update though...
I managed to get into the BIOS by removing my graphics card and booting from the motherboards internal graphics. Then I updated it which was successful, it hasn't solved the problem though

I forgot the motherboard has a multi-BIOS function, so I had to update both when doing the update. I tried switching to the other BIOS to see if that'd make any difference but it doesn't

I noticed the motherboard is showing a 00 debug code on the LEDs when I do a restart
Turns out 00 doesn't exist and it's probably D0 (both digits look the exact same though)

D0 is apparently late CPU initialization which I've read could be a corrupt BIOS or bent CPU pins
Most people with this issue online have an unusable PC, mine is running pretty well though, I've had no issues with it so it's odd

I'll reseat the CPU some day this week and also check the pins, maybe that'll help
But any other ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

InvalidError

Titan
What is the PSU brand and model number? Weird booting issues are often caused by PSUs that cannot keep up with the wonky power usage at boot. Haswell and newer CPUs are also known to give older (both in actual age and design) PSUs a hard time due to much harsher transients than previous CPUs.

Zak32

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2014
What is the PSU brand and model number? Weird booting issues are often caused by PSUs that cannot keep up with the wonky power usage at boot. Haswell and newer CPUs are also known to give older (both in actual age and design) PSUs a hard time due to much harsher transients than previous CPUs.
It's actually a new PSU, I forgot to mention that entirely. It's a Corsair TX750M, so it's a modern one

Sorry for the delay, I tried reseating my CPU and also checked for bent pins, everything seems fine but it still won't restart properly

I also noticed the other day when I had to shut down and update, it did the usual thing of configuring updates while shutting down, but once it was done it didn't finish shutting down, the screens just went black but the PC was still running. I left it for a few minutes but nothing, so I had to just hold the power button to turn it off. When I turned it back on, it configured the updates as normal, but shut itself off after finishing. Not a proper shut down, more like the power just turned off. I turned it back on and it booted like normal and is running fine

Not sure if that helps diagnosing the issue

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS