Question PC doesn't restart to bios

Jun 1, 2023
Hi I am troubleshooting the reason why my Asus ROG Z270F can not restart itself while trying to install windows 10 to a m.2 NVME - I install windows from a bootable USB and after installing it requires it restarts on a 10 second countdown - once it restarts the PC stays on and the screen goes blank and the LED to standby and the PC fails to restart to bios again to then complete the installation. I am unsure as to the main cause but since the computer can't restart I am not able to do so and let windows finish the install sequence.

What could possibly be the cause?

Jun 1, 2023
Bios is outdated but seemed sus updating it when it mentions a restart is required and I'm having difficulty with restarting and reloading even after bios edits I have to do a hard reset with the power button and so I'm not able to complete the process for Windows to reload and finish installing.

Jun 1, 2023
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu?
latest motherboard bios?
Personally I didn't carry out the risk of updating a crucial element to the PC with the risk of an unsuccessful restart I had previously reset the bios to default (or) replaced CMOS battery i initially thought it was because windows wasn't installed in the first place as to why it runs idle to no response on restart but realize it's compulsory within the way Windows is installed that after the first installation stages from the bootable USB that computers usually initiate a restart that's successful to finish carrying out the installment.

Jun 1, 2023
Even if i override the boot drive that windows was installed to it continues the installment but later on also requires a restart.

Jun 1, 2023
is this a new pc or was it working before?

try without the gpu and use the igpu?

evga what model?
Yes working before and restarted before I've even installed Windows on it using the same method a dozen times and have discovered this problem this time around is preventing the process and I'm unsure about the cause but just know the effect.

I was installing a new NVME m.2 and a fresh install of Windows I never had these types of problems before and have a computer that doesn't restart to bios there are updates using EZ Flash but im not in a position to chance a brick while the system is seemingly not restarting and forcing a hard reset.

Unsure of the PSU model
is this a new pc or was it working before?

try without the gpu and use the igpu?

evga what model?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yes working before and restarted before I've even installed Windows on it using the same method a dozen times and have discovered this problem this time around is preventing the process and I'm unsure about the cause but just know the effect.

I was installing a new NVME m.2 and a fresh install of Windows I never had these types of problems before and have a computer that doesn't restart to bios there are updates using EZ Flash but im not in a position to chance a brick while the system is seemingly not restarting and forcing a hard reset.

Unsure of the PSU model
Unhook all drives except the m.2 when you install windows since you already have windows on another drive

Jun 1, 2023
so you added a new nvme and try to do a fresh os install?
Yes but every time I install to the NVME the restart process that the windows installation needs to complete never boots into the next partition of the installation - the computer restarts while active and doesn't re-post to bios to then continue with the installation it's left at a blank screen.

Jun 1, 2023
Unhook all drives except the m.2 when you install windows since you already have windows on another drive
Assuming so I have windows on another drive I do not I formatted the old windows on an old SSD in the idea I could make a new install from a bootable to the NVME

I installed Windows to a new computer using the same bootable USB with no problems upgrading an EVE alt SFF from an HDD to an 128GB SSD the installation process completed itself as expected and I've noted that the problem seems to be that under any circumstance being that there's an newly OS installed it must restart itself nvme or not prior to completing the next phase of installation and that the computer doesn't restart normally to bios towards the new installation path and is left idle on a blank screen and requires a hard restart and the same issue cycles on repeat.

Last edited:

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
My MB doesn't like my RAM. Windows boots fine but won't go into BIOS. 64GB, XMP enabled it will boot to Windows, not BIOS.

Take out all but one stick, it reverts to a lower speed and goes into BIOS.

Try taking out all but one stick.