Question PC doesn't start after upgrades.

Oct 2, 2019
Hello humans,

I just upgraded my PC. I installed a new motherboard: the MSI Z390 Carbon Pro. Together with a new CPU and new RAM. I've got an i5-9600K and Corsair 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro 3200Mhz.

I already had 2 MSI GTX 970's installed with an SLI bridge. And my PSU is a Corsair 850W (don't remember the full name).

I have windows installed on a SSD.

I try to start my pc and it takes a long time to get to the windows loading screen. It loads for a while and then just freezes. I can't acces safe mode or the boot menu either. Only the BIOS.

What might be worth noting: one of the RAM sticks doesn't change light like the others do, is this a broken RAM stick?

kanewolf

Titan
I had a Z170A Carbon Pro.
There are three possible situations when using an existing Windows install.
  1. It works
  2. It boots but has blue screens
  3. It doesn't boot.
I believe you have #3 and the only way to fix it is to do a fresh OS install. Hope you prepared to do that before you tore down your old PC. Got everything backed up and all the software identified, keys located, etc. Otherwise, I would recommend you buy a new SSD and do the clean install onto it so that you can get data off the old one eventually.

Oct 2, 2019
  1. It works
  3. It doesn't boot.
I believe you have #3 and the only way to fix it is to do a fresh OS install. Hope you prepared to do that before you tore down your old PC. Got everything backed up and all the software identified, keys located, etc. Otherwise, I would recommend you buy a new SSD and do the clean install onto it so that you can get data off the old one eventually.
I have most of my stuff on an external HDD. Will reset windows tomorrow see if it does anything.

Oct 2, 2019
  1. It works
  3. It doesn't boot.
And no I did not prepare for this, didn't think it'd be such a big deal lol