PC doesn't start if HDD is plugged in

tyronesaur

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
I've searched online and haven't come across a solution. I inherited an old PC that I want to run Ubuntu on.

I tried booting from the install CD from Ubuntu's website and it just hangs after the splash screen that displays F10 for boot menu and F12 for BIOS. To the best of my knowledge, there is no OS installed. I successfully managed to boot from my Ubuntu CD after I disconnected the lone HDD. Been experimenting with the jumper cable settings but have come to no conclusions.

There is only 1 HDD. Just trying to find out if I can still reuse it to install Ubuntu on.

I'm fairly new to computers and this forum, let me know what else I should include in this.

tyronesaur

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Hello SchizTech, It's an IDE hard drive. is there a way to check if it's a failed hard drive? Ideally without taking it out of the case?

finalruner, I've been trying to change the boot order to no avail. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point. I've even taken out the option to boot from Hard Disk drive but it still hangs.

computers are complicated =S

tyronesaur

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
Thanks, probably will just leave it as is. maybe i'll hang an external off of it. i just want to run it as a kitchen calendar/reminder set up that syncs to family phones. Will try to run with flash drive or SD

tyronesaur

Reputable
Jun 18, 2014
yep, no go. I think I will scrap it and run Ubuntu off flash drive instead =(

I just want to note that i was pleasantly surprised by how fast the responses came and thanks for the replies!