[SOLVED] PC doesn't start, no clue what to do.

Jul 9, 2019
Hi!
So I recently bought used PC components to build a PC. Everything except the PSU was used. I bought the PSU new like 2 years ago and used it for almost 2 years, but then I sold some parts and wanted to upgrade, so the PSU was stood in our garage thru cold weather and etc. I built the PC and tested it but nothing happened, so I thought I might have built the pc wrong. So I trial and error to see what I was missing. I went throught the computer and noticed that I had indeed built the pc the correct way. When I plug in the power cable and press the power button there isn't much that is happening. The mobo led turns green and the fans turn slightly for a second and then everything stops but the led is still on. All the parts are quite old except the psu. And there isn't alot of thermal paste on the cpu and cooler.
Any idea on what's going on?
My system specs:
Asus P8P67-M PRO mobo
Intel Core i5 2500 cpu
HyperX 16gb 2x8 ram
GTX 570 gpu
Corsair VS550 psu
Noctua cooler

Jun 23, 2019
Hi!
So I recently bought used PC components to build a PC. Everything except the PSU was used. I bought the PSU new like 2 years ago and used it for almost 2 years, but then I sold some parts and wanted to upgrade, so the PSU was stood in our garage thru cold weather and etc. I built the PC and tested it but nothing happened, so I thought I might have built the pc wrong. So I trial and error to see what I was missing. I went throught the computer and noticed that I had indeed built the pc the correct way. When I plug in the power cable and press the power button there isn't much that is happening. The mobo led turns green and the fans turn slightly for a second and then everything stops but the led is still on. All the parts are quite old except the psu. And there isn't alot of thermal paste on the cpu and cooler.
Any idea on what's going on?
My system specs:
Asus P8P67-M PRO mobo
Intel Core i5 2500 cpu
HyperX 16gb 2x8 ram
GTX 570 gpu
Corsair VS550 psu
Noctua cooler

Please go through the no post forum as posted by PC Tailor and let us know how you get on.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No luck still :(
In which case, breadboard the system - Remove all devices except:
  • Motherboard
  • CPU and CPU Cooler
  • 1 stick of RAM (installed as per your MB manual)
  • PSU
Remove the motherboard from the case and run it on an insulating surface, then short the 2 power pins (with the appropriatly insulated screwdriver for example) and see if you yield any results. If not, try the other stick of RAM in a different slot.

If that yields absolutely no results, due to many others (and my own) experiences with the Corsair VS series, get a new PSU. Even if the PSU isn't to fault on this occasion (which it certainly could well be) - you'll want to upgrade from it.

icedog

Prominent
Mar 27, 2018
what harddrive? try to re apply thermalpaste just to be sure and maybe its the psu, you´ve said that the psu has been through cold weather , so maybe its the psu?
'

Jul 9, 2019
I solved it! So I went to a second hand shop and bought a used PSU and switched it with the one I had in my computer and it worked.

Solution