PC doesnt stay overclocked

bryanperez6119

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
ive had enough of this. before i begin, i am not tech fancy when it comes to pc parts and specs etc. so i built my first pc with the following parts a year ago https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ddWYjc
after a couple of months of usage, it began to run very badly and found out it wasn't running what it was capable of running when playing games. so i began to add the XMP profile and it seemed to fix the problem, until i noticed that the xmp profile doesnt stay active. in other words, i would need to restart my pc, open bios and change to ddr4 3200 in order for me to play my games smoothly every couple of days. ive had enough of it. why is this happening? it runs like VERY badly if i dont do this process, the fps jumps all over the place but averages around 15 fps on fortnite. then when i do the whole process, it runs at 100+ fps afterwards on high settings. why cant it stay like this?? would doing the whole bios update process fix this? please excuse any bad grammar or english, i didnt want to spend too much time typing this.

Solution
Okay, not a Ryzen expert and hopefully others will jump in. Have you upgraded the BIOS to the latest version? Memory can be a little tricky on Ryzen and a lot of suggestions point to try running it at 2933MHz...Below is an what another person had to go through...

'For reference, my RAM is rated for a speed of 3000MHz, when I first got my R7 1700 I tried to set my RAM to its rated speed of 3000MHz with XMP mode, and I had the same issue happen. This was without overclocking my CPU too, but I was able to get it set stable to 2933MHz. However, when I started to OC my R7 in order to get the highest frequency possible I had to dial back the memory clock again. I ended up on the CPU at 3.9GHz and the RAM at 2800MHz, although most people can...
Okay, not a Ryzen expert and hopefully others will jump in. Have you upgraded the BIOS to the latest version? Memory can be a little tricky on Ryzen and a lot of suggestions point to try running it at 2933MHz...Below is an what another person had to go through...

'For reference, my RAM is rated for a speed of 3000MHz, when I first got my R7 1700 I tried to set my RAM to its rated speed of 3000MHz with XMP mode, and I had the same issue happen. This was without overclocking my CPU too, but I was able to get it set stable to 2933MHz. However, when I started to OC my R7 in order to get the highest frequency possible I had to dial back the memory clock again. I ended up on the CPU at 3.9GHz and the RAM at 2800MHz, although most people can only get like 2666MHz. That's my experience on the issue.'

And here is another:

'Assuming you're applying that clock by simply applying the XMP profile? That's step one.

Beyond that, this is pretty common with Ryzen systems unfortunately. Getting RAM to run over 2400 even can be a crapshoot. Try manually setting to 2666 and see if that holds or not. If not, you'll probably be able to set to 2400 OK but no higher. If its not holding your setting its simply that your mobo cannot clock the memory to the speed you're setting so its reverting it to default speed so it can boot. Ensure you're on the latest BIOS offered for your mobo also.'

Solution

First is to update board BIOS to the latest. Next is to manually load all timing parameters for your memory and set DIMM voltage to 1.35 or even 1.4. DDR4 is perfectly safe at 1.45 (and over) so don't worry, and you can lower it later if you want to see how low it can go. Gains from 3000 to 3200 speed is minimal so get 3000 stable first then push on to 3200 only if it can.

Also, don't try setting a memory overclock if you've not demonstrated stability with a CPU overclock. It's a beast trying to get both stable simultaneously.