Question PC doesn't turn on until I set it plugged in for 10+ hours.

Jan 13, 2023
Hi, everyone. I got a PC few months ago and it was working perfectly fine, but then one day light went off while I was gaming and then it never came up. I showed upto a repair shop and they said the chip was short. However one I came home I gave it one last try and it came on. I figured it out that I had to keep it plugged in for 10 to 15 mins before turning it on.

I haven't used it since then but today I tried to turn it on but it takes around 10+ hours now. Not to mention that during this process I once unintentionally turned PSU to 110 volts while the socket was 220 volts and it burnt and after that I got a new PSU. After getting new PSU it worked fine the problem of delay got vanished but only for a day. Next day I had same problem. Now it takes 10+ hours what might be the problem? I tried 1 ram stick, No ram, removing GPU, Reinstalled CPU, changed PSU and all capacitors seems fine, tried unplugging all components uncluding front panel usb hub. Also tried removing CMOS battery. However when PC turns on it says CMOS date and time not configured. Changed CMOS cell also

Jan 13, 2023
Its a 550W PSU. (It's hidden inside casing I have to disassemble it and I don't have guts to do that lol, any other way I could find out?)

Here are my PC specs
Intel Xeon W3680
10GB RAM (2GB x 3 sticks + 4GB x 1 stick)
GTX 750 (2GB)
500GB HDD + 120 GB SSD
INTEL X58 northbridge (I suspect its the culprit)

Teknoman2

Reputable
Oct 13, 2020
Dr Frankenstein is that you?
On the topic now, you can use isopropyl alcohol to clean it but dust alone wouldn't cause that kind of problem... though i've heard of really weird things like the PC not booting because of the mouse. One easy thing you can try doing, considering the age of it, is to replace the battery on the motherboard. It may be that its empty and causes the BIOS to malfunction. And its not that hard of a task, its one of those disc shaped batteries, you pop the old out and put the new in.

Jan 13, 2023
If anyone is experiencing this problem, I figured an easy way to check this out. First let the Desktop plugged in until it starts than immediately turn it off using PSU button and them immediately turn ON button but this time don't boot your PC. Now unplug 24 Pin connector and drain your motherboard charge by holding powerbutton now put the 24 pin connector back and see if motherboard turns on. If not the motherboard is faulty and if it does than its probably the PSU. Mine was motherboard.

Be sure to check that 3.3V CMOS battery, then RAM sticks then GPU and lastly your PSU and motherboard.