Mar 17, 2022
Pc specs:

Cpu: i7 4700k
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series
Mobo: Maximus VI Formula
Ram: Corsair 16 gb
Gpu: Asus RTX 2070 Super
Psu: Corsair AX860

I have this build for 8 years. In 2018 I had an issue with the psu that also destroyed a GTX 780 I had. I bought a new gpu and replaced the psu with the warranty.

In February I decided to upgrade my OS from Win7 to Win10. That's thee only change that happened to the system on the last month. I had no problems until last week. The pc would shut down while I was doing something( and it wouldn't black out, I would get a normal shut down as if I did it. Then it would turn on and off for some power cycles and I could go back and do my thing. On Tuesday it got worse I couldn't get past the BIOS and then it gave out completely and it doesn't turn on when I press the power button. Pressing the CMOS from the back gets it to power on for a few seconds ( just the fans get activated) and then it turns off again.

Things that I did so far. Reseat all the cables. Remove the ram/reseat them. What I don't think it is,is overheating issues to the gpu or cpu. Not only did I monitor it from the BIOS I was also checking it from the case, plus I always blow off the dust from my system every month or two.

I really hope it's just a psu issue since it won't cost me that much but if it is a short on the mobo then I'll have to replace the cpu as well and god knows what else since they are outdated( There are no parts sold in my country and I checked some prizes on Amazon and they are high for an almost decade old equipment.

I will try to test a new psu tomorrow and see what happens. I just wanted to ask people that had the aame issue how possible is it that it's just a faulty PSU and not my mobo or cpu?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 17, 2022
Ok so I connected the pau I got( just the 24pin and the CPU connectors) and I turned on the pc. It got into the BIOS and I thought I solved my problem but the the pc shut down after 3 minutes. I can turn on the pc from the power button now but it still shuts down.

Things that might help. I am getting a qcode 99 although I guess this has to do with the fact that I didn't hook any other device with the PSU ( like gpu or the hard drives).

While I am typing this the pc went into other powercycle.

Edit: Also the boot device led is on.

Edit2: Should I also unhook my GPU completely from the mobo?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS