[SOLVED] PC don't boot with two RAM sticks

roid555

Prominent
Nov 29, 2020
Hi,
I really don't know what to do,
After I replaced my CPU and CPU cooler my pc refuse to boot up with 2 RAM sticks
Trying to solve it for a while and I tried a few things I saw online
  1. enable XMP
  2. change voltage to 1.35v
  3. I test they are both work individually
  4. I tried A1B1, A2B2

And even if I boot with one and change the speed to 3600Mhz I get the message "failed to overclock memory"
The RAM sticks works fine until yesterday
Please help I really desperate here, working to try t fix it for a long time

my build:
MB: MSI b550 a pro
CPU: AMD ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: gigabyte 3060ti gaming pro
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)

Solution
Your Ryzen 5 5600x officially supports up to 3200Mhz RAM so trying to OC to 3600Mhz is not guaranteed and may exceed the limitations of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip.

There would be no XMP profile for easy Overclocking so you may have to manually enter your SPD Primary Timings and Dram Voltage in Bios.

Should the above fail then return what you have and get a single kit (2x8) at a frequency your CPU and Mb supports that are listed on the MB QVL and known to work.

To check for compatibility, please list the P/N or SKU of your RAM.
Your Ryzen 5 5600x officially supports up to 3200Mhz RAM so trying to OC to 3600Mhz is not guaranteed and may exceed the limitations of the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on your chip.

There would be no XMP profile for easy Overclocking so you may have to manually enter your SPD Primary Timings and Dram Voltage in Bios.

Should the above fail then return what you have and get a single kit (2x8) at a frequency your CPU and Mb supports that are listed on the MB QVL and known to work.

Solution

roid555

Prominent
Nov 29, 2020

so do you think I need to set dram voltage to 1.45v and speed to 3200Mhz and disable XMP, and then I will be able ti run with 2 ram sticks?

roid555

Prominent
Nov 29, 2020
You can try (no damage would be done) however as I said NO guarantee.
They are excellent modules F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB however I could not find a listing on the MB QVL so they are untested.
Also ensure your Bios is up to date.

Do you think a bent CPU can cause that? even if its a new CPU? I really dont want to take the CPU out and risk the pc wont work at all
also my bios is not up to date but again the same RAM sticks works fine with this BIOS up until now

In your Bios you have a sub menu for Overclocking and there is "Memory try it" which is disabled by default. Enable this function to test.

You also have "Advanced DRAM configuration" that will allow you to change your Timings. Obtain your SPD Timings and Voltage from within CPUz, write them down then enter those values in Bios.
You then have "DRAM voltages control" which is set to AUTO by default so enter the manufacturers recommended voltage. you can increase in .01 small steps to try. Do not exceed beyond 1.4v.

roid555

Prominent
Nov 29, 2020
No, the old CPU is dead..
I tried again and now I can run with the 2 sticks but not in dual channel mode.. right now I using A1A2
is it still can be related to CPU?

roid555

Prominent
Nov 29, 2020
I bought a new fan for the CPU and when I tried to replace it, I ripped the CPU with the fan(after that I saw I should have heat the CPU before that so it wouldn't happen) .
And one pin broke, not sure if it happen when I ripped it off or when I tried to remove it from the cooler.
I will add that I didn't use much force to ripped it, so not sure if its damaged the mobo

roid555

Prominent
Nov 29, 2020
Ok more information.
I tried to remove the CPU and its cooler and I installed it again, after that it's actually works! 16GB dual channel
but after about 10 minutes my crashed like before post again when the RGBs in the pc works but not on the keyboard or mouse or the monitors.

I removed it again, and with 1 stick I got past throw the POST pase and the pc go into some loop trying to load for a minute and then turned on.( happens a few time I try to set a differents kind of volte to ram)
hope this new info will help, it really suck I was happy for 10 minutes xd

roid555

Prominent
Nov 29, 2020
ok I think the problem was too much presure on the CPU from the cooler screws, and after I loose it a bit it feels like the cooler were heavy and pull slightly the CPU down so I lay down the PC and now its works with 16GB dual channel.
the problem is my PC freeze in games now or I get a black screen like it does before post phase
Dont seems to happens with single channel for now
my friend said it could be a motherboard issue and I risk the other parts of the PC while I even turn on the PC because things short circuit.. is it true?

Last edited: