Question PC Drops WiFi when 3rd Monitor (TV) is turned ON

Aug 5, 2020
Ok so I have a very strange situation. I work from home more often now, and in my office I have a two monitor set up along with a TV that is used as a 3rd monitor sometimes, for watching videos or just background noise. The TV is fairly old, but I've used it as a 3rd monitor for a while and this is a new issue.

The issue I'm having is that whenever I turn the TV on (which is connected to my GPU via HDMI) my computer completely drops WiFi. It takes about 30 seconds, but I am unable to connect to any WiFi as it displays "Unable to Connect to this Network". As soon as I turn the TV off, after 30 seconds it automatically connects back to my WiFi and all is fine. But, if I unplug the HDMI cable from my GPU and turn the TV on, then my PC stays connected to WiFi, I am seriously stumped as to why it's doing this!!

This isn't a serious issue as I don't need to have the TV connected, but it's more of an annoyance and I'd like to know if it's something major that's causing the issue. Below are my specs for my PC. (Apologies if not everything is included) Also please note that there has been no manual overclocking of my CPU, GPU or Memory.

Windows 10 64 Bit
CPU-
Ryzen 7 1700X
MOBO- Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Memory- Trident G.Skill 32 GB
GPU- Asus RTX2070 Super
WiFi Adapter- Asus PCE-AC56 Network Adapter
WiFi Extender- Netgear Nighthawk X6
Monitor 1- LG Monitor connected via Display Cable
Monitor 2- HP Monitor connected via HDMI Cable
Monitor 3 (TV)- LG 60LN5600 1080p LED connected via HDMI Cable

If anyone has an idea why this would be happening, or any diagnostics that can be performed, please let me know.

Thanks,
Scott

kanewolf

Titan
Ok so I have a very strange situation. I work from home more often now, and in my office I have a two monitor set up along with a TV that is used as a 3rd monitor sometimes, for watching videos or just background noise. The TV is fairly old, but I've used it as a 3rd monitor for a while and this is a new issue.

The issue I'm having is that whenever I turn the TV on (which is connected to my GPU via HDMI) my computer completely drops WiFi. It takes about 30 seconds, but I am unable to connect to any WiFi as it displays "Unable to Connect to this Network". As soon as I turn the TV off, after 30 seconds it automatically connects back to my WiFi and all is fine. But, if I unplug the HDMI cable from my GPU and turn the TV on, then my PC stays connected to WiFi, I am seriously stumped as to why it's doing this!!

This isn't a serious issue as I don't need to have the TV connected, but it's more of an annoyance and I'd like to know if it's something major that's causing the issue. Below are my specs for my PC. (Apologies if not everything is included) Also please note that there has been no manual overclocking of my CPU, GPU or Memory.

Windows 10 64 Bit
CPU-
Ryzen 7 1700X
MOBO- Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
Memory- Trident G.Skill 32 GB
GPU- Asus RTX2070 Super
WiFi Adapter- Asus PCE-AC56 Network Adapter
WiFi Extender- Netgear Nighthawk X6
Monitor 1- LG Monitor connected via Display Cable
Monitor 2- HP Monitor connected via HDMI Cable
Monitor 3 (TV)- LG 60LN5600 1080p LED connected via HDMI Cable

If anyone has an idea why this would be happening, or any diagnostics that can be performed, please let me know.

Thanks,
Scott
Is your "WIFI" connected via a powerline network adapter? It could be the powerline noise that is causing your problem.

Aug 5, 2020
Is your "WIFI" connected via a powerline network adapter? It could be the powerline noise that is causing your problem.
Our main WiFi Router is in the living room. Because our house is so long the office barely receives a WiFi signal. So we have the Netgear WiFi Mesh extender in the office, which pics up the WiFi signal from the living room.

kanewolf

Titan
Our main WiFi Router is in the living room. Because our house is so long the office barely receives a WiFi signal. So we have the Netgear WiFi Mesh extender in the office, which pics up the WiFi signal from the living room.
Since there is an extender involved, it is possible that the TV creates enough RF interference that the extender loses connection.
An easy way to test that theory is to temporarily connect the extender to the main router via a long ethernet cable laid on the floor.

Aug 5, 2020
Since there is an extender involved, it is possible that the TV creates enough RF interference that the extender loses connection.
An easy way to test that theory is to temporarily connect the extender to the main router via a long ethernet cable laid on the floor.
I was thinking it may be the extender also, but observed that all other devices stay connected to the WiFi while this issue is happening and have no problem.

Also another step I tried that ruled out the extender is if I unplug the TV HDMI cable from my PC then turn it on, I do not lose WiFi connection on my computer. It only happens when the TV is plugged into my PC.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
This is a strange one. Can you connect to the Router instead of Extender just to troubleshoot and see if your TV loses connection? Also have you updated the firmware on your TV and the firmware on your rig?

Aug 5, 2020
This is a strange one. Can you connect to the Router instead of Extender just to troubleshoot and see if your TV loses connection? Also have you updated the firmware on your TV and the firmware on your rig?
Yes... it is a strange one indeed lol.

Right now I am unable to connect directly into the router as I do not have a long enough Ethernet Cable. I still feel like the Extender is not the issue as all other devices are able to still connect to WiFi on the Extender while this issue is happening. It only happens on my PC.

I will try to locate a long enough Ethernet Cable to also rule this option out.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020
Update..... I don't have a long enough Ethernet cable to reach the living room, but was able to plug directly into the Extender. I do not lose Internet Connection when hard wired into the extender with the TV on. Also another test I did is another PC is able to connect to the Extenders WiFi while the TV is on, but keep in mind the TV's HDMI is not plugged into the 2nd PC.

So here are my thoughts:
Issue with Wireless Network Adapter Card?
Issue with GPU somehow disrupting my network when the TV is turned on?
Issue with MOBO for some reason?