Question PC DuelSense Issue

dizhydron

Reputable
Nov 11, 2018
Hello!

I recently moved over to using a PS5 controller to play games on Steam. I used to use a Switch Pro Controller but always had deadzone issues on Steam where neutral on the left stick would still give an input and later, straight up would give a really weak input instead of a stronger one.

I'm using the PS5 DuelSense now via a wired connection and have been encountering what seems to be a compatibility issue. As I'm using it, the controller will start drifting for about a second to a second and a half. Most of the time, that's a wireless connectivity issue but it's weird to see it happen for a wired connection. I've also noted that it happens in tandem with the lights on the controller itself changing. When using PS5 on Steam, you can set the controller's RGB color. When this issue happens though, the RBG changes from purple, which is the color I use, to orange, which is the color used when charging while idle. It switches colors, drifts for a second or two, then starts being usable again. Then a few seconds later, the color changes again from purple, to completely turning off. Again, drift for a second or two then it becomes usable again.

My speculation is that the controller is programmed to alert the user when it's finished charging by turning the RBG light off which conflicts with its use in Steam when connected via a wire. The controller resets when the battery is full and that causes the drift. That's just a guess though.

Is anyone else having this issue? I've tried to look for solutions but all I can find is tutorials on how to fix wireless drift on the hardware itself. I'd really appreciate some help.

Using PS5 DuelsSense on Steam in Windows 10.

Thanks for your time!

Lutfij

Titan
Steam does have native support for the controller you're using, which leads me to think that perhaps it's an issue with Steam or that the controller might be the issue. You might want to see if you replicate the issue on a friend's system who also plays with Steam. If the issue repeats itself then you have part of a common denominator. You might want to also take the controller over to a PS5 and see if the issue persists there as well.

I had a client who was complaining of PS4 controller connectivity issues while wired to his desktop, he ended up changing it and then got another controller, turns out his controller was the bug in all of this, not his USB port, the USB cable or the USB drivers for his Ryzen platform.

dizhydron

Reputable
Nov 11, 2018
Steam does have native support for the controller you're using, which leads me to think that perhaps it's an issue with Steam or that the controller might be the issue. You might want to see if you replicate the issue on a friend's system who also plays with Steam. If the issue repeats itself then you have part of a common denominator. You might want to also take the controller over to a PS5 and see if the issue persists there as well.

I have 2 separate PS5 controllers and it's happening on both of them. I could try disabling RBG through and see if that fixes it. I just can't imagine it being the same bug on 2 different controllers, but then again, I'd expect to see more people having the same issue as well.