Question PC either can't see or stay connected to my home wifi.

Aug 18, 2020

Modem is a 'Telstra Gen 2 Smart Modem' (Telstra is an Australian ISP). Model is Technicolor DJA0231.

I built this PC a few months ago. Originally when I built my PC, where I was living the modem was in my room, which was ideal as I was able to run an Ethernet cable. I have recently moved house, and the place is small so I decided to buy a PCIe Wifi adaptor for internet. I bought a the cheap TP-Link one which is in my parts list. This worked great for around 2 weeks.

After around 2 weeks the TP-Link wifi adaptor was no longer able to find my home network. I found this strange as my system nor the network changed in any way. Sometimes it was able to connect to the network, but after around 1 minute, it would quickly disconnect. Stupidly, I thought as the card was cheap it was poor quality and had a fault. I went and bought a more expensive ASUS Wifi adaptor. However, after installing I soon realised that it also didn't work. It can find other networks around, just not from my router.

Below are the steps I have taken to address the problem and troubleshoot:
  • I have checked that other devices on my network can access the wifi and internet. My phone, laptop, chromecasts etc. have no trouble connecting to the network, even in the farthest rooms in the house.

• I have gone into the router settings and reset the network.

• I physically moved my PC right next to the router, and it still couldn't find the network.

• I checked on the router settings that it is broadcasting SSID.

• I tethered my phone to my PC by USB and the internet works perfectly. When I use the Wifi hotspot, it works fine for a while, like when connected to the router after a while, it disconnects and can't find the network.

• I changed the PCIe slot that the Wifi card is installed in.

• I uninstalled the adaptor and reinstalled it. I tried to update drivers but my PC says 'Latest drivers are installed'. I went to the ASUS website and it does not have drivers, it says to get the drivers automatically from Windows Update.

• I installed various antivirus and anti-malware software, thinking a virus may to blame. No viruses or malware found, even ran scans in Safe Mode just to be sure.

• I downloaded new chipset drivers from AMD.

• I faced the desk-mounted antennae in different directions.

• I disabled band-steering in my router settings - This seemingly worked! I was able to connect to the 5GHZ band of my home network. Unfortunately though it only stayed connected for around 1 minute. Interesting though that after disabling and re-enabling bad steering that my PC can see the network for a short time.

• I added my PC to the 'Static IP' list in my router settings. Didn't change anything.

• Interference? The antennas aren't sticking out the back of my PC, they are plugged into the provided desk-mounted antenna, which I assume takes away the problem of interference ( I am no networking expert though!
Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated, whats worse than the Wifi adaptors not working is my bruised ego for not being able to solve this problem alone. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Verify that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled on your computer.

You identified the modem (Telstra). What make and model router do you have?

How are they connected?

On your computer run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.