[SOLVED] Pc entering power save mode only when gaming.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Hi.So i have a problem with my pc since i put a new GPU in it.So sometimes when i am playing demanding games my monitor is entering power save mode , so i can't see anything but i can still hear the game is still going.The problem is it is not happening all the time , with games that are not so demanding it neve happens but with harder to run it does sometimes.For example i tried to play the witcher 3 and after about 10 minutes it's entering power save mode which is odd because i tested the game a few days ago and i played for like a few hours without a problem.Also it happend the same thing in guild wars 2.After this happend i reconnected everything in from my pc.The PSU cable , dvi cable , i reconnected the GPU into the pci slot, the cables that's going into the monitor.And the problem stopped for like a day and now is going on again.First i am gonna say my pc specs and then the things i tried to resolve the problem.

So i have a I5-2400 , 8 GB ram DDR3 , GTX 750 TI , Default PSU like one of those from office computers , so not for gaming.Motherboard is like some HP thing like a Hewlett-Packard.

Now i had this thing befor a few years ago with a different computer but in that one the problem was the GPU was getting too hot so the computer was going in power save mode as a crash.But this time i don't belive is the GPU fault because i did stress test and i tested alot of games and stuff with this GPU and the temps are good.In idle is 30-40 C. In almost all games around 60-70 and in high demanding games when the GPU is at 100% usage i got 77-80 C max. Also even when i am playing something demanding and i exit the games the temps are going fast from 77-80 to like 60 then 40 .Beside that the fan on the GPU is standing at 48% speed even when the GPU is 100% usage.Another thing on the old pc with the old GPU when the GPU was reaching 100 C there was a loud noise and the fans was spinning at 100% but not with my current GPU that is chill even when the PC is crashing and entering power save mode with good temps and the fan at 48%.

I also tested my CPU with stress test and stuff and at 100% usage was around 60-70 C so still good temps with no risk of crashing.

Things i tried , change the PSU cable , Remove and put again the GPU , disconnect every important cable and reconnecting it.Stress test gpu , cpu and got good results.
I also need to add that this GPU i have right now is actually consuming less Power than the other one i had , my other GPU was consuming 65 W and this one i have right now is consuming 60 W.And the PC was working great with the old GPU like 1 week before i put this new GPU in it.

So yeah i really don't know what to do this thing is cursed.Like i said before even in those games i am getting the power save mode thing , sometimes they work great and i can play them for hours until i get bored.So it's like the PC is working how he wants.I will appreciate any help thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
Honestly, this sounds like a failing PSU. It fails when under a full, sustained load.

PSUs do degrade over time and I would imagine this one(given its age) is far from optimal performance.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Just to clear something up.When i was talking about my old GPU that was having a temp problem , i was actually talking about a pc i had years ago so it's not my old GPU that i replaced with this current GTX 750 Ti.With the GPU i had before the GTX 750 Ti i never had the Power Save mode problem.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Quick update.I have just played the witcher 3 for like 2 hours and 15 minutes and there was no problem . Earlier when i made the thread i couldn't play the game not even for 10 minutes because my pc was crashing in the power saving mode and i tried for like 5-6 times.Now i just reconnected the GPU and the cables and it's working without any problems.But the problem is not solved because maybe tomorrow or even after a few hours is gonna do it again.So i need like a real fix i can't just reconnect my GPU 10 times a day...I don't know exactly what is the problem but it is still not solved yet.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Hi.I made a thread about this but since nobody responded i have to do another because the problem is still there and i really really wanna deal with it.So , sometimes when i play some games my monitor is turning off like it's losing the signal from the gpu to the monitor but the PC is still on , i can still hear the game or whatever is happening.Now i get a message on my screen with '' entering power save mode '' this is a message from DELL monitors when the GPU is losing connection with the monitor.The thing is usually this is happening when the GPU is getting too hot and it has to crash so it wont burn.I did stress tests on my GPU and CPU and both of them have good temps. GPU idle-30-40 C , in game when the GPU is at 100% 77-80 C. And the CPU when is at 100% it has around 60-70 C .So both of them are fine even in stress moments , the thing is i really don't understand what might cause the problem.I tried reinstalling the GPU in the PC , i tried reinstalling the drivers , i tried changing the PSU cable , i tried using the GPU in a different PCI , i tried putting the windows power usage in high performance and other small options.I really don't understand why is it doing this , also i have to say that only when i play some games and even then when i play those games sometimes is working perfect and i can play for how many hours i want and sometimes i can't even play for 10 minutes.I have to turn off the PC reconnect all cables and the GPU and then is working , but is working for a bit like a day or a few hours and then i have the problem again.When i am not in a game is working perfectly , i really belive it is not from the GPU since i did so many tests and everything works perfect ... sometimes i can even play very demanding games when the GPU is at 100% usage and it's not crashing at all ... so it's random i really don't know exactly but is stupid and i really really really wanna resolve this problem.So please if someone knows how to deal with this , please help me.
My pc details:
CPU:I5-2400
GPU:GTX 750 TI
8 GB RAM DDR3
Default PSU like one of those you get in the office PC.(I belive a 250 W.)
Motherboard:HP Compaq Elite 8200 Slim SFF Mainboard 611834-001,611793-002,611794-000 Motherboard
SKU : XL510AV

Please i really need to resolve this , thank you.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Honestly, this sounds like a failing PSU. It fails when under a full, sustained load.

PSUs do degrade over time and I would imagine this one(given its age) is far from optimal performance.
I was thinking about this aswell but the thing is the PC was working perfectly until i put this new GPU , and my old GPU was consuming even more than this one.Also i did a benchmark '' catzilla '' which is making both CPU and GPU at 100% at the same time and its making your PC consume alot of power so kinda stress test for PSU and it never crashes it worked perfect i did it even multiple times with different settings.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
I just checked and my PSU is 240 W and it's written in chinese on it also i had the High Performance power plan in win 10 which consume even more Power to deliver the best performance so this might be the problem......

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
Do you have access to another PSU to test with?
I do have one but i am afraid of connecting it because it might just explode or something because it is another one of those 240W chinese HP PSU and i havent used this one in years and it's all dusty and it just looks scuffed , beside this i m not taking my chance in trying to open it up and clean it since there is a chance of getting electrocuted from capacitors .I think i am just gonna buy a new 450-500 W PSU because they are cheap like around 20-40 $ .Maybe they are not amazing but clearly better than those fire hazard boxes.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
A $20-$40 PSU, especially outside of the least expensive markets like the US, are usually fire hazard boxes. In areas where tech is more expensive to acquire, like Eastern Europe or parts of SE Asia, you frequently will find stores with nothing usable until the equivalent $60-$80 range.

CaptainUselessMan

Reputable
Feb 3, 2020
A $20-$40 PSU, especially outside of the least expensive markets like the US, are usually fire hazard boxes. In areas where tech is more expensive to acquire, like Eastern Europe or parts of SE Asia, you frequently will find stores with nothing usable until the equivalent $60-$80 range.
When i said 20-40 $ PSU i was talking about one of those basic office PSU not for gaming , and i belive there is no way you can overpower your PC if you just do office stuff.But yeah forgaming PSU you need atlest around 100 $ PSU like maybe 80-90 , 110 for budget.Anyway i already resolved the problem.But thanks for the reply.