PC Enthusiast Builds 70TB Loaded PC with 40 Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunburn74

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
More interestingly, what are all those drives connected to? My mobo only has 6 sata ports and even if he's using multiple mobos, its amazing that he can make them all talk to each other.

3 24 port Sata raid cards could do this

or one of these Adaptec RAID 52445 as it can hold 256 drives

dylansaliba

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Wouldn't a few BIG fans move more air than all those little ones? Also, I'm pretty sure with netflix, I could fill that up in a year or two. Maybe less if its 1080p content.

Looks at at first but when it comes to hard drives I have become some what an expert and mounting as he have done is a no no especially knowing that most drive manufacturers have skimped on quality. To be more specific the spindle motor. When mounted horizontally all the weight of the platters is evenly distributed on the bearings producing even wear that is predictable. How ever mounting as he have done shortens the life of drive spindle by mounting them vertically ware the weight is unevenly distributed on the bearings producing wear that causes bearings on one side to prematurely fail sooner than they would have normally and also it produces more noise as they age. Second it is no surprise why he/she needed all those fans as the cabinet isn't absorbing and dissipating the heat from the drives as a normal cabinet would.

G

It's seemingly really russian made, meaning not very efficient!
I'm surprised he did not make it out of a rusted, half chipped gray painted, drawer or something.

If he closes the sides, create a square tube, 9 fans would suffice creating an airflow from the bottom through the cabinet.
It's just harddrives to cool, not CPU's.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]I know what all of you are thinking........ that's a whole lot of p0rn!![/citation]

Especially if he starred in all of them ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS