[SOLVED] PC extremely slow after multiple hibernation cycles

Feb 27, 2021
Hi all,

I hope you can help me with this.

Most of the time, I leave my PC in hibernation in the evening, for the convenience of starting where I left in the next morning. I do restart it, but only about once a week.

After a few hibernation cycles (day 1, day 2 etc ..) my PC barely responds. Usually on day 5 or 6, trying to open the browser can take 10 min - if it even opens at all. The entire system somehow becomes very slow or unresponsive, and sometimes I can't even restart it at all from the menu.

If do restart it, then it works fine and fast again. After a few days of putting it into hibernation in the evening, the same problem will occur until I restart it.

I have read a few threads online, and tried some solutions but nothing fixes it. My "fast startup" feature isn't on, I have enough RAM and my drives have plenty of space left.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Will

Solution
could be a driver that doesn't like win 10 sleep modes, try updating motherboard drivers

You can download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to...

Colif

Win 11 Master
could be a driver that doesn't like win 10 sleep modes, try updating motherboard drivers

You can download and run Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html

All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any (this is intentional as 3rd party driver updaters often get it wrong)

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.

Now its up to you, you can look through the drivers and try to find old drivers, or you can take a screenshot from (and including)Driver name to (and including)Creation date.

upload it to an image sharing website and show link here

All I would do is look at driver versions (or dates if you lucky to have any) to see what might have newer versions.

Fast startup only really for shutdown, no effect on hibernate apart from using the same files. they both use hiberfil.sys

Solution