[SOLVED] PC failing to boot after selecting XMP from BIOS

Sep 25, 2021
Hi, I've bought myself a PC like 7 months ago and it was fine till today. Today my PC refused to boot, it constantly shut its self down after trying to boot for couple of seconds and it did this till it displayed a message saying memory overclock failed. Using the default RAM frequencies fixes the issue but it comes with a performance downgrade. My 8x2 RAMs have a base MHz of 2666 and 3200 MHz with XMP profiles on. I've never had any issues till today an I've never tinkered with the settings. My drivers including BIOS are up-to-date.

My complete specs:
Palit RTX 2060
Ryzen 5 2600
Biostar B450mh motherboard
Crucial Ballistix 8GB 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 × 2

Last edited:
Solution
Assuming these are a matched spec set of RAM modules, and if you're sure the power is not only off, but you've held down the power button for a few seconds to discharge any capacitors, then you might try reseating the modules. Over time heat changes can cause sockets to not be fully seated (thermal creep). You might also try swapping the socket the two sticks are in. Or you might try modules one at a time in XMP mode to see if each functions correctly when on its own.
Assuming these are a matched spec set of RAM modules, and if you're sure the power is not only off, but you've held down the power button for a few seconds to discharge any capacitors, then you might try reseating the modules. Over time heat changes can cause sockets to not be fully seated (thermal creep). You might also try swapping the socket the two sticks are in. Or you might try modules one at a time in XMP mode to see if each functions correctly when on its own.

Reactions: Odzy
Solution
Sep 25, 2021
OH MY GOD THANK YOU I'VE OPENED THE CASE AND MY OTHER STICK OF RAM WAS WAVING AT ME HALF SEATED I'VE STEADED IT CORRECTLY AND IT BOOTS LIKE IT SHOULD WOOOOOOOO THANK YOUUUUU