[SOLVED] PC failing to boot. Fan turns for less than a second but nothing after that.

Aug 1, 2020
I just got a used pc in the mail that I bought on Ebay, but can't get it to turn on. Theres a power switch on the back, and after I flip that on, an orange light comes on inside the pc, but when I hit the power button on the front, all that happens is that the fan turns for a second then goes off. I think maybe something might have come disconnected in transit? If it's as simple as that, I'd be fine to take a look and fix it, but want to know what to look for specifically. If it's more likely that it got damaged in transit or was damaged before hand, I'd rather just send it back and get my refund. Any advice?

Solution
Flip the switch to off, unplug power cable and get ready for fun. Basically you need to unplug, maybe blow off a little dust and then plug back in all the connections from your psu one by one with main attention given to those that go to your motherboard. Wouldn't hurt to check if your ram stick are also firmly placed.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Flip the switch to off, unplug power cable and get ready for fun. Basically you need to unplug, maybe blow off a little dust and then plug back in all the connections from your psu one by one with main attention given to those that go to your motherboard. Wouldn't hurt to check if your ram stick are also firmly placed.

Solution