[SOLVED] Pc failing to boot up (more info in thread)

Mar 5, 2021
Hello, recently my PC cut out mid way through a gaming session, the screen went black and I think the pc initiated a restart however when it tried the screen stayed black and I couldn't access anything, despite the lights on the motherboard and such staying on. The pc would sorta power normally except every 10 or so seconds the lights on the inside would flicker and sorta run more "quietly?" Sorta like it wasn't getting the power it needed to fully run normally.

Now I have since completely replaced the old PSU with a brand new out the box one to eliminate that avenue, however I'm stilling getting the same issue, it powers up I hear a sort of hitching sound coming from around the CPU fan / center of the motherboard and it runs quietly and every 10 seconds the lights flicker.

I suspect it's either a motherboard or CPU issue but was wondering if anyone here could perhaps help me in narrowing down what the issue is :(.

Here's some of my specs below.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Micro ATX)
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2060
PSU: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold.
RAM: 2 sticks of 8gb DDR4 (Corsair)
SSD: 250gb Kingston
(Nothing here listed is overclocked)

I can give more specific info if needed.
Many thanks to whoever could help.

Solution
Hello, recently my PC cut out mid way through a gaming session, the screen went black and I think the pc initiated a restart however when it tried the screen stayed black and I couldn't access anything, despite the lights on the motherboard and such staying on. The pc would sorta power normally except every 10 or so seconds the lights on the inside would flicker and sorta run more "quietly?" Sorta like it wasn't getting the power it needed to fully run normally.

Now I have since completely replaced the old PSU with a brand new out the box one to eliminate that avenue, however I'm stilling getting the same issue, it powers up I hear a sort of hitching sound coming from around the CPU fan / center of the motherboard and it runs...

Now I have since completely replaced the old PSU with a brand new out the box one to eliminate that avenue, however I'm stilling getting the same issue, it powers up I hear a sort of hitching sound coming from around the CPU fan / center of the motherboard and it runs quietly and every 10 seconds the lights flicker.

I suspect it's either a motherboard or CPU issue but was wondering if anyone here could perhaps help me in narrowing down what the issue is :(.

Here's some of my specs below.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H (Micro ATX)
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2060
PSU: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold.
RAM: 2 sticks of 8gb DDR4 (Corsair)
SSD: 250gb Kingston
(Nothing here listed is overclocked)

I can give more specific info if needed.
Many thanks to whoever could help.

Good job eliminating the PSU as being a source cause that would have been my first recommendation.

When the lights flicker every 10 seconds or so, is the system itself power-cycling completely or does the fan on the CPU keep spinning and then the "hitching" sound happens? It may be tricky to catch but try to see if you can notice if the CPU fan cutting off/on is the source of that sound you're hearing.

Does your motherboard have built in graphics? If so, pull your GPU out and see if you get something from the integrated option in regards to the screen working. If no integrated graphics it could likely (like you said) be the motherboard or CPU or both. Are you able to enter the BIOS at all or (I assume) it doesn't allow you to get that far into the process?

Solution
Mar 5, 2021
Good job eliminating the PSU as being a source cause that would have been my first recommendation.

When the lights flicker every 10 seconds or so, is the system itself power-cycling completely or does the fan on the CPU keep spinning and then the "hitching" sound happens? It may be tricky to catch but try to see if you can notice if the CPU fan cutting off/on is the source of that sound you're hearing.

Does your motherboard have built in graphics? If so, pull your GPU out and see if you get something from the integrated option in regards to the screen working. If no integrated graphics it could likely (like you said) be the motherboard or CPU or both. Are you able to enter the BIOS at all or (I assume) it doesn't allow you to get that far into the process?

Hi, thanks for replying.

So in regards to the CPU it seems the fan is spinning normally so I I'm not sure if it's the CPU where the problem lays (but who knows yet) .

I can't enter the bios no, I'll try your recommendation when I get home from work later of removing the GPU from the equation and seeing what happens.

Also when the lights flicker and it hitches the case fan connected to the Mobo is the main thing I notice in regards to noticing that the power is flickering . I don't think my mobo has integrated graphics but I do think my CPU has something like that.

Edit: Just remembered I have a working old 970 just laying around I can try installing that and seeing what happens .

Edit2: I have a feeling after some googling and testing that it's almost definently my Motherboard, the fans on the GPU and CPU are fine it just seems like the mobo cuts power/ can't use the power it's getting properly and restarts itself on loop.

Last edited: