[SOLVED] Pc fails to boot after it freezing.

45tigers

Reputable
Feb 28, 2018
Hey gamers! I'm looking for some nice second opinions on whats wrong with my pc, 2 heads are better than 1 :) So I was playing Warcraft last night for a good few hours, when all of a sudden my game freezes with a low pitch buzzing sound. No keys on the keyboard would work so I had to go with a hard restart on the power button. Upon trying to turn my pc back on I realize the fans kept spinning at full power without slowing down when the boot cycle begins, even after a few minutes-nothing. So I go through the process. Make sure all my connections are secure. Try it again and nothing. This time I notice the lights for the mobo that say aorus and the aorus symbol below the gfx card are not lit up. However the red light indicator on the mobo is still on signaling it has power (kinda obvious cause every fan is spinning up). I decide I was going to deal with it later. So I came back the next day. Tried it again, same thing. So I started troubleshooting parts individually. Tried my ram sticks. Removed all ram cleaned the contacts with an eraser and tried booting, nothing. Put 1 stick in, nothing. So I move on. Disconnect all my memory to see if I can even get it to post. Still nothing. Then I try putting my gfx card in another video slot on the board. Nothing. I have not touched the cpu yet as I'm pretty sure that is not the issue (although it could be). I am fairly certain the mobo might have taken a turn for the worst and just couldn't pull through. Any thoughts or extra trouble shooting steps I may have missed? I'd appreciate it. If all else fails I'll end up buying the same mobo and hot swap it. See if that works. It just seems odd to me that things are working ok, then bam. That's how it be sometimes. Here is the build and all the parts are 2+ years old besides the cpu. And the RAM.

Aorus b450 pro wifi
EVGA rtx 2080
Corsair 700w psu
Ryzen7 3700x
Gskill rgb 8gb ×4
2 ssd one for os, one for games
2 hdd one for more games and the other for apps and what not

Solution
First thing to do would be probably be CMOS reset. But also check your system status LED's....right up front next to the front panel header pins. Manual p. 21 explains them, the one lit is usually the one giving you trouble.

45tigers

Reputable
Feb 28, 2018
If I had another psu I would but unfortunately I dont. Just trying to get second thoughts on what needs replaced. I think it's a psu or mobo isssue. I'll see if the CMOS battery does the trick, I read somewhere that it wouldn't cause my pc to not boot but every mobo is different. I failed to mention also that the front panel is only half way working now as it was fine before the initial freeze. I can use the power button to turn the pc on but have to use the psu switch to cut power to the board. I'll try it again when I get home!

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
If I had another psu I would but unfortunately I dont. Just trying to get second thoughts on what needs replaced. I think it's a psu or mobo isssue. I'll see if the CMOS battery does the trick, I read somewhere that it wouldn't cause my pc to not boot but every mobo is different. I failed to mention also that the front panel is only half way working now as it was fine before the initial freeze. I can use the power button to turn the pc on but have to use the psu switch to cut power to the board. I'll try it again when I get home!
I agree with that, sounds like some kind of short happened somewhere (But not enough to cause it to shut off apparently). Is your PSU strong enough?

Reactions: 45tigers

45tigers

Reputable
Feb 28, 2018
I agree with that, sounds like some kind of short happened somewhere (But not enough to cause it to shut off apparently). Is your PSU strong enough?
It should be, i have had no problems with it running my system for 2+ years. That's whats making me think the mobo is at half capacity or something. I also tried to press on my bios chip lightly to see if it came up from heat expansion. No luck there either.

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
It should be, i have had no problems with it running my system for 2+ years. That's whats making me think the mobo is at half capacity or something. I also tried to press on my bios chip lightly to see if it came up from heat expansion. No luck there either.
Sorry, didn't notice that you replied.

I still think the motherboard has been shorted somehow. I would try another PSU or to test yours as you said, to make sure it isn't just the PSU that shorted.
If it's still the same issue, sorry but I think the motherboard needs replacing.

I've seen these symptoms on my old PSU that fried from a USB port being plugged into the headphone port on the motherboard. After plugging the headphones in, only the fans would turn on. But thankfully that was just the PSU. So you may be in luck if that's the case.